Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Repulsion and attraction between atoms

1. Mar 23, 2014 #1
    Why do atoms repel when they are close to each other and react when they are far from each other??

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2014 #2

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Mar 23, 2014 #3
    Atoms are electrically neutral from far away. However, when you (pretend you are another, cognizant atom) get close to one, you are much closer to the electrons (-) than the protons (+). This means that you and the other atom will repel each other.

However, if the atom is missing 1 valence electron to complete its outer 'surface' and you happen to have one too many valence electrons (one of your electrons is further/popped out than all the others), then you two can marry (form a covalent bond) and live happily ever after. You will even produce a baby immediately (the energy/heat/information exchange with the environment when the covalent bond forms).

I know this is all very crude. I hope it helps visualize what's going on and please excuse my terrible humour.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook