1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Required tension of rope around a cylinder to hold a object.

1. Dec 15, 2011 #1
    please see attached drawing. I am trying to understand how this would work.

Imagine a vertical cylinder of diameter "D". I would like to tie a mass M to it, using a rope. what is the tension "T" that is required on the rope?

I assume the force required will depend on the coefficient of friction between the cylinder and the mass, let us assume that to be "mu".

but in this case, friction force = mu * force perpendicular to the cylinder surface

how to calculate this perpendicular force? is it just equal to the tension T? I am confused because when a rope goes though a pully we always assume tension to be tangential to the pully at any given point...

any clarifications of my understanding is welcome!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2011 #2
    I have redrawn the problem a bit, I think the physics remains the same. Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

4. Dec 15, 2011 #3
    You wrote,

is it just equal to the tension T?

No in general. I think you would have to accurate dimensions of the mass M to calculate what fraction of T presses mass M against the cylinder. My sketch above takes liberty with the dimensions as none were given.

5. Dec 16, 2011 #4
    That clarified my doubt..thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook