Research Opportunities for Post-Undergrad Students

In summary, the speaker is looking for research internships for the summer after graduating from undergrad and before starting grad school. They have previously done an REU in HEP and are interested in continuing in that field or exploring clean energy. They are also considering international research opportunities. Suggestions include looking into programs at national labs and reaching out to professors at their future grad school for potential research opportunities.
d3nat
Hi,

What research internships are there out there for students between undergrad and grad school.
This upcoming summer I'll have graduated from undergrad and will (hopefully) be going to grad school in the fall.

But I want to be doing some research this upcoming summer. I'm not particularly confined to any field because I'm still unsure what area I want to go into.

I did an REU this past summer in HEP, but I know those are only for undergraduate students.

I think most of the national labs have internships for people in my situation, but I know they're extremely competitive.

Are there any research opportunities abroad that aren't restricted to undergrads?

I wouldn't mind continuing in HEP because I find it fascinating, and I feel like that's more of an international research area than others. I also find clean energy fascinating.

Any suggestions for where to look?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Like you mention national labs have programs that accept students who have just graduated (SULI is one). If you don't end up with a position come spring you can email professors in the grad school you will be going to in the fall. In my program it's not uncommon for students to move early and do research over the summer. You will most likely need research experience relevant to the professor's group to do this.

1. What are research opportunities for post-undergrad students?

Research opportunities for post-undergrad students refer to various programs, internships, and projects that provide students who have completed their undergraduate degree with the chance to engage in hands-on research activities in their field of interest.

2. How can post-undergrad students find research opportunities?

Post-undergrad students can find research opportunities through their university's career center, research offices, or faculty members. They can also search for opportunities through online databases, professional organizations, and networking events.

3. What are the benefits of participating in research opportunities for post-undergrad students?

Participating in research opportunities can help post-undergrad students gain valuable research experience, develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, build a professional network, and enhance their resume for future career or graduate school opportunities.

4. Are research opportunities only available in STEM fields?

No, research opportunities are available in various fields including humanities, social sciences, and arts. Many universities and organizations offer research programs in a diverse range of disciplines to cater to the interests of post-undergrad students.

5. Can post-undergrad students receive compensation for participating in research opportunities?

Yes, many research opportunities for post-undergrad students offer compensation in the form of stipends, scholarships, or grants. Compensation varies depending on the program and funding availability. Some opportunities may also provide academic credit or allow students to work on a research project as part of their coursework.