• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Other Research Plan

• Thread starter EngWiPy
  • Start date
Hi! I would like to apply to a postdoc position, but one of the requirements is to detail at least a 2-page research plan on a certain topic. I haven't worked on that topic specifically before, so, I would need to research it. However, this may take sometime to know exactly what to do, and I have a limited time to apply. In my last postdoc position I learned about the topic and formulated the research plan within the first couple of months of my contract. I don't know if I should apply or not, and how to formulate my research plan without direct knowledge about what is being done in this topic in a short time. I once applied to a position that required the same, and I only provided my research experience and explained that I have the necessary experience and background to tackle the new topic, but my evaluation was that "I am not qualified"!! Thanks in advance

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
2018 Award
So what exactly are you asking here? There was not a single question in your post.

Zz.

I am asking how should I address this requirement without enough previous knowledge, or just drop the idea of applying altogether. I certainly can research the topic and talk about what has been done briefly, but formulating a detailed research plan is more difficult (if not impossible) to do in few days. I don't know how important is this requirement usually to postdoc positions when it's required.

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
2018 Award
I am asking how should I address this requirement without enough previous knowledge, or just drop the idea of applying altogether. I certainly can research the topic and talk about what has been done briefly, but formulating a detailed research plan is more difficult (if not impossible) to do in few days. I don't know how important is this requirement usually to postdoc positions when it's required.
But haven't you learned your lesson from your previous attempt at applying for a postdoc in an area that you are not familiar with?

I once applied to a position that required the same, and I only provided my research experience and explained that I have the necessary experience and background to tackle the new topic, but my evaluation was that "I am not qualified"
If a job post requires that you provide something, or have some qualification, then this isn't something negotiable. Either you do it, or you don't get it.

Zz.