1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Resistance Between Terminals AC and AD

1. Feb 12, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What is the resistance between terminals AC? What is the resistance between AD?

An underground telephone cable, consisting of a pair of wires, has suffered a short
    somewhere along its length (at point P in the Figure). The telephone cable is L long,
    and to determine where the short is, a technician first measures the resistance between
    terminals AB to be RAB; then he measures the resistance across the terminals CD to be
    RCD.

http://capa-new.colorado.edu/teacher/capalibrary/Graphics/Gtype58/prob08.gif

2. Relevant equations
    So I know that to find resistance we do R=pl/A but I dont really know how I would find it in this situation since it is not like finding AB or CD like I have done before. Please help

3. The attempt at a solution
    Not sure if I would just kinda do something like
    R(ac)=pL/A ? and just have it be that simple and then
    R(ad)=pL/A + R(cd) ? please help

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2010 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Say x is the distance from A to the short. Can you write an expression for the resistance RAB in terms of x? How about an expression for RCD in terms of x?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook