Find the equivalent resistance between AB

In summary: That's same as 0.714R. Cool! I'll try working it out by...There is no need to check the answer in your textbook; the simulation will give you the correct answer.
arutor

Homework Statement

Find the equivalent resistance between AB.

Capture.PNG

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I could not find any Wheatstone bridge or series parallel combination. Should I use star delta transformation ? If yes, how exactly should I use it ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
arutor said:

Homework Statement

https://physicsforums-bernhardtmediall.netdna-ssl.com/data/attachments/77/77761-73b9806372fec877fb82679f18f05f16.jpg Find the equivalent resistance between AB.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I could not find any Wheatstone bridge or series parallel combination. Should I use star delta transformation ? If yes, how exactly should I use it ?
Yoiks! There might be a simpler way, but I'm not seeing it right off the bat.

Instead, I'd just put a 1V voltage source between points A & B, and write all the KCL equations for the nodes in the circuit. It will be a lot of equations, but just solve them simultaneously, and then solve for the overall current flowing in the 1V source. That will get you to the equivalent resistance.

BTW, are all the resistors of the same value?

Last edited by a moderator:
There is some symmetry to this circuit. In the configuration that it's present, you can see a little of that symmetry.

capture-png.94692.png

I suggest labeling the resistors (or the nodes if you prefer).

Redraw (and redraw and redraw...) emphasizing triangles formed by the resistors, until you get a very symmetric looking array.

Make maximum use of the symmetry

In the end, I found it handy to split that center resistor into two resistors, R/2, in series.

You can perform many Y-Δ transformations combining a few resistors each time. (After drawing many Δs I finally saw that the original circuit has lots of symmetry.)

Likes BvU, gracy and berkeman
berkeman said:
Yoiks! There might be a simpler way, but I'm not seeing it right off the bat.

Instead, I'd just put a 1V voltage source between points A & B, and write all the KCL equations for the nodes in the circuit. It will be a lot of equations, but just solve them simultaneously, and then solve for the overall current flowing in the 1V source. That will get you to the equivalent resistance.

BTW, are all the resistors of the same value?
Yes, the resistors are of same value.

SammyS said:
There is some symmetry to this circuit. In the configuration that it's present, you can see a little of that symmetry.

capture-png.94692.png

I suggest labeling the resistors (or the nodes if you prefer).

Redraw (and redraw and redraw...) emphasizing triangles formed by the resistors, until you get a very symmetric looking array.

Make maximum use of the symmetry

In the end, I found it handy to split that center resistor into two resistors, R/2, in series.

You can perform many Y-Δ transformations combining a few resistors each time. (After drawing many Δs I finally saw that the original circuit has lots of symmetry.)
How to use symmetry to simplify circuit ?

arutor said:
How to use symmetry to simplify circuit ?
I made some suggestions. Have you tried them?

arutor said:
Solving by symmetry is a valuable technique to master. You may not be taught it, and just have to pick it up by practice. There are probably many ways to solve your particular problem, I'll start you off with the one I used.

You can see symmetry here by noting how a rotation of 180 degrees around the red central dot causes each element and each wire to superimpose on one identical to itself in an identical location, as though each has a twin. This symmetry means that each element carries an identical current and voltage as its twin.

To help you I have identified one set of twins by colouring them green. For convenience, I'll assume VB is at zero volts.

resistors2.jpg

Suppose there is a voltage drop of V1 across each green resistor, then symmetry let's us label the voltage at two nodes, V1 and VA-V1. I also did the same for nodes around another set of twins I coloured purple.

That's the hard part finished with! You will notice how we now have every node labelled with its voltage.

Now all that's needed are two equations in two unknowns to eliminate V1 and V2. See whether you can apply Kirchoffs Current Law to do this, and finally obtain the circuit's resistance. (= VA / current).

Does your textbook give the answer...so that I can check my working?

Likes gracy
NascentOxygen said:
Does your textbook give the answer...so that I can check my working?
I ran a simulation and got Req=0.714R
Screenshot_2016-01-28-19-36-16.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-01-28-18-45-06.png
    Screenshot_2016-01-28-18-45-06.png
    10.3 KB · Views: 510
Last edited:
Likes gracy
cnh1995 said:
I ran a simulation and got Req=0.714R
[emoji106] That's my answer, too. Thanks.

Likes cnh1995
cnh1995 said:
I ran a simulation and got Req=0.714RView attachment 94935
Using symmetry, lots of symmetry, I get (5/7)R .

Likes gracy and cnh1995
SammyS said:
Using symmetry, lots of symmetry, I get (5/7)R .
That's same as 0.714R. Cool! I'll try working it out by symmetry.:smile:

cnh1995 said:
That's same as 0.714R. Cool! I'll try working it out by symmetry.:smile:
(So you are pursuing this thread. Good.)Here is a start.
upload_2016-1-29_21-11-35.png

Resistors are numbered. The six nodes are circled and marked A through F, using the original A & B .

I suggest placing nodes A, E, F, and B roughly spaced equally in a line. Place nodes C & D on opposite sides of that line on its perpendicular bisector.
Connect the nodes with the resistors.

Code:
       D

A   E     F    B

C

Likes gracy and cnh1995
Here is the circuit element drawn showing more of the symmetry.

upload_2016-2-4_18-17-22.png

Resistors and nodes as in the previous post.

Likes gracy and cnh1995
Using a bit of symmetry, and a Y-∆ transformation followed by a ∆-Y transformation, I again find resistance to be 5/7 Ω. (Though I wouldn't expect anyone to memorize these transforms for unbalanced networks.)

NascentOxygen said:
Using a bit of symmetry, and a Y-∆ transformation followed by a ∆-Y transformation, I again find resistance to be 5/7 Ω. (Though I wouldn't expect anyone to memorize these transforms for unbalanced networks.)

From Post #3 ("that center resistor" being the #6 resistor.):
SammyS said:
Call the node between these two resistors Node G.

Then nodes C, D, & G can be collapsed into one node. The whole mess can be dealt with using only series/parallel analysis.

Likes BvU, gracy and cnh1995
SammyS said:
Call the node between these two resistors Node G.

Then nodes C, D, & G can be collapsed into one node. The whole mess can be dealt with using only series/parallel analysis.
Now I can see how you did it. Yes, that would be the easiest. It's always good to have two methods, so you can confirm the answer to the first.

Likes gracy

What is the definition of equivalent resistance?

Equivalent resistance is the total resistance of a circuit when multiple resistors are connected in a specific way. It is a single resistance value that can replace multiple resistors without changing the overall behavior of the circuit.

How do you calculate the equivalent resistance of a series circuit?

In a series circuit, the total resistance is equal to the sum of individual resistances. Therefore, to calculate the equivalent resistance, simply add the values of all the resistors in the circuit.

How do you calculate the equivalent resistance of a parallel circuit?

In a parallel circuit, the total resistance is less than the smallest individual resistance. To calculate the equivalent resistance, use the formula 1/Req = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + ... + 1/Rn, where Req is the equivalent resistance and R1, R2, etc. are the individual resistances.

What is the difference between series and parallel circuits in terms of equivalent resistance?

In a series circuit, the equivalent resistance is always greater than the individual resistances, while in a parallel circuit, the equivalent resistance is always less than the smallest individual resistance.

Can the equivalent resistance be negative?

No, the equivalent resistance cannot be negative. Resistance is a physical property that can only have positive values.