Resistance of an electric motor

In summary: It isn't. In summary, the average power delivered by the power supply to the motor is 74.6 W with an rms current of 0.65 A. This results in a resistance of 176.6 Ω for the power transmission. However, this may not be the same as the resistance of the coils when measured with an ohmmeter, as there are other sources of loss in a motor that affect the resistance. The resistance measured with an ohmmeter may not take into account inductive effects, such as back-emf, which can affect the behavior of a spinning motor.
pc2-brazil

Homework Statement

An electric motor connected to a 120 V, 60 Hz supply does work at a rate of 0.1 hp (1 hp = 746 W). If it consumes an rms (root mean square) current of 650 mA, what is its resistance, in terms of power transmission? Would this result be the same thing as the resistance of its coils, measured by an ohmmeter, with the motor disconnected from the generator?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The average power delivered by the power supply to the motor is [itex]P_{av} = i_{rms}^2R[/itex]. Since [itex]P=(0.1)(746)=74.6\ \mathrm{W}[/itex], and [itex]i_{rms} = 0.65\ \mathrm{A}[/itex], then [itex]R = \frac{74.6}{0.65^2} = 176.6\ \Omega[/itex] (this is the correct value at the back of the book).
My doubt regards the second question. I imagine that, since the resistance R that is used in the power formula of an RLC circuit is simply the resistance of the circuit, the value of the resistance should remain the same, even if it was measured by an ohmmeter with the motor stopped (it's just the impedance that would be different). However, the answer to this says that: "This would not be the same as the direct current resistance of the coils of a stopped motor, because there would be no inductive effects.".

Is my reasoning correct?

Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
pc2-brazil said:

The Attempt at a Solution

The average power delivered by the power supply to the motor is [itex]P_{av} = i_{rms}^2R[/itex]. Since [itex]P=(0.1)(746)=74.6\ \mathrm{W}[/itex], and [itex]i_{rms} = 0.65\ \mathrm{A}[/itex], then [itex]R = \frac{74.6}{0.65^2} = 176.6\ \Omega[/itex] (this is the correct value at the back of the book).
Resistance is what you would measure with the ohmmeter across the input terminals of the motor with the motor stopped. If I understand the problem correctly, we can calculate that from the information provided.

Here, the power input is P = VrmsIrms. That is 120 x .65 =78 Watts. The power output is 74.6 W. Efficiency = 74.6/78 = 95.6%

Use that efficiency to determine the percentage of energy that is lost through resistance (ie. the I^2R loss). You can determine R from that.

AM

I don't really like the book answer.

You calculated R=176.6 from the power lost but that assumes all the power lost is in the winding resistance. It's not. There are other sources of loss in a motor such as friction in the bearings, air drag on the rotor, eddy current losses in ferrite parts etc. These also account for some of the loss. So the real resistive losses would be lower. So when you just measure R with a meter it will be different.

The book answer is okay since the question is asking what the motor looks like to the power transmission network. An equivalent load "black-box"approach.

The book answer to the second part is fine too as long as you realize that "inductive" effects is covering all the interesting behaviour of a real motor. For example a spinning motor behaves like a generator and produces back-emf . So very crudely inside the black box is the resistance from the copper winding in series with a variable voltage power supply whose voltage is given by how fast the motor is spinning. The I-V characteristic of a spinning motor does not look like the resistance in an R L C circuit.

I share CWatters concern that the book answer may mislead you into thinking that this 177 ohm resistance is a physical resistor.

Last edited:

Yes, your reasoning is correct. The resistance measured by an ohmmeter when the motor is disconnected from the generator would not be the same as the resistance used in the power formula. This is because the resistance measured by the ohmmeter is only the direct current resistance of the coils, while the resistance used in the power formula takes into account the inductive effects of the motor. When the motor is running, the inductive effects contribute to the overall impedance of the motor and affect the amount of current that flows through it. Therefore, the resistance used in the power formula is not just the direct current resistance measured by the ohmmeter.

What is the resistance of an electric motor?

The resistance of an electric motor is a measure of how much it impedes the flow of electric current. It is measured in ohms (Ω) and is dependent on factors such as the material and length of the wire used in the motor.

How does the resistance of an electric motor affect its performance?

The resistance of an electric motor directly affects its performance by determining how much current can flow through it. A higher resistance means less current can flow, resulting in a weaker and less efficient motor.

What factors can affect the resistance of an electric motor?

The main factors that can affect the resistance of an electric motor are the material and length of the wire, the temperature of the motor, and the quality of the connections between the wire and other components.

How can the resistance of an electric motor be measured?

The resistance of an electric motor can be measured using a multimeter, which can accurately measure the voltage and current in the motor and calculate the resistance using Ohm's law (R = V/I).

Why is it important to consider the resistance of an electric motor in its design?

The resistance of an electric motor is an important factor to consider in its design as it directly affects the motor's performance and efficiency. A motor with a high resistance will require more energy to operate and may overheat, while a motor with a low resistance may not have enough power for its intended use.