Resistance Temperature Detector (RTD) response time

In summary, the conversation discusses how to approach a problem related to a RTD (resistance temperature detector) with a given time constant. Two possible solutions are presented, one calculating the time using the known time constant and the other using a formula for exponential response. The correct solution is determined to be using the exponential formula, with a final value being reached after 29.9 seconds.
JohnielWhite
How would u work this problem?

Q-If a RTD has a time constant of 10.0secs, approximately how long will the sensor take to get with 5% of the final value?

I am thinking two ways to approach this problem.

S1- It is known that the RTD takes 5 time constants to reach its final value, hence t=5T=5*10=50sec.

Or

S2- If 63%t=10 => t=10/63% => t=15.87sec Now 95%t=95%*15.87=15.08sec

I'm not sure which if any of these are correct. please let know know if I am approaching this correctly. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
JohnielWhite said:
How would u work this problem?

Q-If a RTD has a time constant of 10.0secs, approximately how long will the sensor take to get with 5% of the final value?

I am thinking two ways to approach this problem.

S1- It is known that the RTD takes 5 time constants to reach its final value, hence t=5T=5*10=50sec.

Or

S2- If 63%t=10 => t=10/63% => t=15.87sec Now 95%t=95%*15.87=15.08sec

I'm not sure which if any of these are correct. please let know know if I am approaching this correctly. Thanks.

The response is exponential. Do you know how to write the equation for the response versus time?

R(t) = _________

The "time constant" you are given appears in the right side of the equation...

yes i do...

T(t)=Tinitial + (Tfinal-Tinitial)(1-e^(-t/T))

I got the value of t to be 29.9sec after 95%

Thanks for your response...

What is a Resistance Temperature Detector (RTD)?

A Resistance Temperature Detector (RTD) is a type of temperature sensor that measures changes in electrical resistance to determine temperature. It is typically made of metals such as platinum, copper, or nickel, and is commonly used in industrial and scientific applications.

How does an RTD work?

An RTD works by measuring the change in resistance of the metal wire as the temperature changes. The resistance of the metal increases as the temperature increases, and decreases as the temperature decreases. This change in resistance is then converted into a temperature reading.

What is the response time of an RTD?

The response time of an RTD refers to the time it takes for the sensor to accurately measure and reflect a change in temperature. It is influenced by factors such as the size and construction of the RTD, the material it is made of, and the surrounding environment.

Why is response time important for RTDs?

Response time is important for RTDs because it affects the accuracy and reliability of temperature measurements. A faster response time means that the sensor can quickly detect and reflect changes in temperature, providing more accurate readings. This is particularly important in applications where temperature changes occur rapidly.

How can the response time of an RTD be improved?

The response time of an RTD can be improved by using a smaller and more sensitive sensor, using a material with a higher temperature coefficient of resistance, and minimizing external factors that can affect the sensor's performance. Additionally, using a faster data acquisition system can also improve the overall response time of the RTD.