1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamics resistance temperature scale

1. Sep 19, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Capture.PNG
    IMPORTANT:There is an error in the statement.α and β are in C not K

2. Relevant equations

R=Ro(1 +αt+βt2)
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I really don't know what to do because if I isolate t in the equation it will give me the temperature on the ideal gas scale whereas the temperature I need to find is on the resistance scale.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2015 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Re-read the problem statement: where is "K" used? What does the "correction" imply should be used instead?

4. Sep 19, 2015 #3
    The temperature is in celsius degrees not kelvin so the constant α is in celcius^-1 and β in celcius^-2 in order to negate t and t^2. This is a correction our teacher made after giving us the statement. Is that what you were reffering to?

5. Sep 19, 2015 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

6. Sep 19, 2015 #5
    Are you saying I simply need to solve R for the given conditions? Because that would give me a value of resistance not temperature and the exersice is to find the ideal gas temperature equivalent on the resistance scale.

7. Sep 19, 2015 #6
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted