Resistive hybrid for soundcard to enable speakerphone skype calls

• Thread starter arithmetix
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, a resistive hybrid can be used to convert from 4-wire to 2-wire, and can be used with an ordinary telephone network speakerphone to create a full-duplex speakerphone.
arithmetix
I think it should be possible to use a resistive hybrid to convert from 4-wire to 2-wire, and plug an ordinary telephone network speakerphone into the hybrid to allow hands-free operation.
Has anyone any thoughts on this, or even better, experience of such a system?

Engineering news on Phys.org
arithmetix said:
I think it should be possible to use a resistive hybrid to convert from 4-wire to 2-wire, and plug an ordinary telephone network speakerphone into the hybrid to allow hands-free operation.
Has anyone any thoughts on this, or even better, experience of such a system?

Could you say a little more about what you want to do? Are you wanting to make a full-duplex speakerphone? Where is the microphone? There are more issues with full-duplex speakerphones than just the singing problem...

Thank you for your reply, Berkeman.
I am thinking of using a commercially available speakerphone, designed for the telephone network, for full duplex operation. As for such issues as singing/feedback, I hope that the solutions already implemented by the engineers who designed the phone for the public telephone network will be effective.
For me, there don't seem to be any obvious issues with using the resistive hybrid to go from 4 wire to 2 wire operation, providing the hybrid has been properly balanced.
There may however be issues which I have not anticipated, which is why, in the spirit of cautious conservatism, I have posted my question. And theory has never been quite the same as practise in my experience.
(I was originally trained in telephony, and have worked in telephone transmission stations.)

arithmetix said:
Thank you for your reply, Berkeman.
I am thinking of using a commercially available speakerphone, designed for the telephone network, for full duplex operation. As for such issues as singing/feedback, I hope that the solutions already implemented by the engineers who designed the phone for the public telephone network will be effective.
For me, there don't seem to be any obvious issues with using the resistive hybrid to go from 4 wire to 2 wire operation, providing the hybrid has been properly balanced.
There may however be issues which I have not anticipated, which is why, in the spirit of cautious conservatism, I have posted my question. And theory has never been quite the same as practise in my experience.
(I was originally trained in telephony, and have worked in telephone transmission stations.)

Standard speakerphones are not full duplex, they are half duplex. The full duplex speakerphones are designed to work in pairs, and include lots of DSP to deal with echos and singing.

I suppose you might be able to run a standard speakerphone in full duplex mode, if you knew for sure that the phone on the other end was a handset only and not a speakerphone too.

Aha! Shows how much experience of speakerphones I have! Thank you very much.
If you have anything else to say, I'm listening.

berkeman said:
I suppose you might be able to run a standard speakerphone in full duplex mode, if you knew for sure that the phone on the other end was a handset only and not a speakerphone too.

Actually, I don't think even this would work. The person with the handset would hear their echos. You really need the same DSP cooperating at both ends in order to get even one full-duplex speakerphone to work

As an aside, I was part of a focus group about 20 years ago involving speakerphones. There were about 15 people in the group, and I was probably the most technical person there (EE), and definitely knew the most about phones and telephony (used to work for Bell Labs). I hadn't heard about the work on DSP-based full duplex speakerphones, though. So when the facilitator started presenting the full duplex speakerphone to us, I politely interrupted and mentioned that speakerphones weren't full duplex because of <list of problems>. The facilitator just smiled, and said, oh yes, our speakerphones are definitely full duplex -- we've solved those problems. I asked how much they cost, and was truly astounded by how inexpensive they were for doing so much DSP (especially 20 years ago).

Amazing. Oh the company that made the speakerphones was Polycom, and I think they were a startup at that time. Doing pretty well now, I see.

Thank you again Berkeman.
About the only thing left of my incompletely conceived idea is the hybrid, and I'm very glad not to have had to go through the time-consuming and costly exercise of finding these things out the hard way...
... that is, unless I find there is some reason I can't use the hybrid either!

Related to Resistive hybrid for soundcard to enable speakerphone skype calls

1. What is a resistive hybrid for soundcard?

A resistive hybrid for soundcard is a device that allows for the use of a speakerphone feature during Skype calls. It is a small electronic component that is added to the soundcard of a computer to enable this function.

2. How does a resistive hybrid work?

A resistive hybrid works by splitting the audio signal from the soundcard into two separate signals: one for the speaker and one for the microphone. This allows the user to hear the other person on the call through the speaker while also being able to speak into the microphone without any feedback or echo.

3. Is a resistive hybrid necessary for Skype calls?

No, a resistive hybrid is not necessary for Skype calls. It is an optional device that can improve the quality of speakerphone calls by eliminating feedback and echo. If you do not plan on using the speakerphone feature, then a resistive hybrid is not needed.

4. Can I use a resistive hybrid with any soundcard?

It depends on the type of soundcard you have. Some soundcards already have a resistive hybrid built-in, while others do not. It is best to check the specifications of your soundcard or consult with a professional to determine if a resistive hybrid can be added.

5. How do I install a resistive hybrid for my soundcard?

The installation process for a resistive hybrid may vary depending on the specific model and type of soundcard you have. However, in general, you will need to open up your computer and insert the resistive hybrid into an available slot on the soundcard. It is recommended to seek professional help if you are not familiar with computer hardware installation.