Resolution of F vs t measurement

In summary, the conversation discussed ways to determine the resolution of frequency measurements taken using a Laser-Doppler vibrometer and a frequency counter. The suggested method was to calculate the Allan deviation as a function of integration time and take the minimum value. This is considered a more accurate measure compared to using standard deviation, which only works for white noise. The NIST handbook of frequency analysis and free Matlab routines were recommended as resources for this type of analysis.
Excom
Hi all

I have measured the resonance frequency of a resonator as a function of time by mean of a Laser-Doppler vibrometer and a frequency counter. In this measurement there are some fluctuations in the measured frequency as time goes by.
My question is: How do I determine the resolution of this frequency measurement? Or in another way: How precise can I resolve the frequency? Do I take the standard deviation for a period and then define this as my frequency resolution?

I hope someone can help me.

Best regards
Excom

Physics news on Phys.org
That would be the RMS error. A pretty universal way of stating errors - I say go for it.

A more correct way of doing it is to calculate the Allan deviation as a function of integration time and then take the minimum value.

Indeed. the standard deviation is not a good measure in these situations. The reason is that it only converges for white noise, for all other noise types the STD will give you the "wrong" result which is why the Allen deviation should always be used for this type of analysis.

Have a look at the NIST handbook of frequency analysis (free download). Also, there are free Matlab routines for calculating the ADEV available on Mathworks file exchange.

1. What is the "F" in "Resolution of F vs t measurement"?

The "F" in "Resolution of F vs t measurement" refers to the force being measured in the experiment. This could be any type of force, such as weight, tension, or friction.

2. What is the purpose of measuring F vs t?

The purpose of measuring F vs t is to understand how the force changes over time. This can provide valuable information about the behavior of a system or material, and can help researchers make predictions or analyze data.

3. How is the resolution of F vs t measurement determined?

The resolution of F vs t measurement is determined by the precision of the equipment used to measure the force and the time interval at which the measurements are taken. Higher precision equipment and smaller time intervals will result in a higher resolution measurement.

4. What factors can affect the resolution of F vs t measurement?

Several factors can affect the resolution of F vs t measurement, including the sensitivity of the measuring equipment, external forces or disturbances, and the stability of the environment in which the measurement is taking place.

5. How can the resolution of F vs t measurement be improved?

The resolution of F vs t measurement can be improved by using more precise measuring equipment, reducing external disturbances, and increasing the frequency of measurements. Additionally, using advanced data analysis techniques can also help improve the resolution of the measurement.