Resolve a force into three parts (3D)

In summary, the student is trying to solve a problem involving the projection of a force onto orthogonal vectors. Unfortunately, he does not seem to be understanding how to do this. He needs to find the decomposition of the force into components in the non-orthogonal basis given by the specified vectors, and then solve for the three unknowns.
John Dough
Hey!

I have been trying to solve this problem without success. Any help will be appreciated

Homework Statement

Resolve the 170 N force into three parts: one of which is parallel to OQ, another parallel to OP, and the third parallel to the y axis. (See the graph)
Are these the components of F in these directions?

Pay attention to the last question. the answer is "No". I have already found the components of the force in Fx, Fy and Fz directions. So the "parts" to be found are different from the components.

Homework Equations

Trigonometric equations
What I used to find the Fx, Fy and Fz components:
[itex]Fz = F * sinγ[/itex]
[itex]Fy = F * cosγ * sinβ[/itex]
[itex]Fx = F * cosγ * cosβ[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the Fx, Fy and Fz components using the equations above: they are 80, 120 and 90, respectively.

I also calculated the uni vector of F and of OQ (see attachment). I have also calculated the sides of several right triangles.
Now my problem is that I don't have an idea how to connect all the dots and complete the solution.

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_0001.pdf
    389.6 KB · Views: 551
  • IMG000.pdf
    209.7 KB · Views: 425
Physics news on Phys.org
Since you have the x,y,z components of the force, and the unit vector of OQ (and presumably OP), projecting the force onto OQ and OP should be fairly straightforward.

I also thought it will be straightforward, but I seem to be doing something wrong.

I have the answers and:
  • the part parallel to the y-axis is 42.2 j N. I have absolutely no idea how to reach this answer. As mentioned about, I found Fy = 120
  • the part parallel to OQ is 97.5 * unit vector of OQ, i.e. 97.5 * ( 3/13 i - 4/13 j + 12/13 k). I tried projecting the force F on OQ using the dot product, but I don't get the same answer.
  • The same goes for the projection of F on OP. The answer is 122 * (8/17 i + 15/17 j) and I get a different number.

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Explain how you computed the relevant sines and cosines.

It is visible from the IMG 0001.

Sin γ = 9 / 17 (right triangle with sides 14,422; 9 and 17. It is visible which side is 9, the hyp. is 17)
That's what I used to find Fz

Cos γ = 14.422 / 17 (same right triangle; 14.422 calculated from the rectangle in the XY-plane)

Sin β = 12 / 14.422 (14.422 is now the hypotenuse in a right triangle with sides 8 and 12)

Cos β = 8 / 14.422 (Adjacent / Hypotenuse)

So the force is 170 * (8i + 12j + 9k) / 17 = 80i + 120j + 90k. This is correct. Your trigonometry is also valid.

I think what you are really required to find here is the decomposition of the force in the non-orthogonal basis given by the specified vectors.

John Dough said:
I also thought it will be straightforward, but I seem to be doing something wrong.

I have the answers and:
  • the part parallel to the y-axis is 42.2 j N. I have absolutely no idea how to reach this answer. As mentioned about, I found Fy = 120
  • the part parallel to OQ is 97.5 * unit vector of OQ, i.e. 97.5 * ( 3/13 i - 4/13 j + 12/13 k). I tried projecting the force F on OQ using the dot product, but I don't get the same answer.
  • The same goes for the projection of F on OP. The answer is 122 * (8/17 i + 15/17 j) and I get a different number.

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

The problem is that the unit vectors in the OP, OQ, and y directions are not mutually orthogonal. So OP and OQ have components in the y direction. It isn't clear, but apparently, they are asking you to express F in terms of the non-orthogonal unit vectors in the OP, OQ, and y directions. That is,
[tex]\vec{F}=F_P\vec{i_p}+F_Q\vec{i_Q}+F_y\vec{i_y}[/tex]
If you express the unit vectors for this equation in terms of the x, y, and z unit vectors, and then dot the resulting equation with each of the x, y, and z unit vectors, you end up with a set of three linear algebraic equations in three unknowns for FP, FQ, and Fy (this Fy is not the same as the component when resolving F into components in the x, y, and z directions). You then solve for these three unknowns.

1. What is meant by resolving a force into three parts in 3D?

Resolving a force into three parts in 3D means breaking down a single force vector into three component vectors that are perpendicular to each other and lie in three different planes.

2. Why is it important to resolve a force into three parts in 3D?

Resolving a force into three parts in 3D allows us to analyze the effects of the force in multiple directions and better understand its overall impact on an object or system. It also helps in solving complex engineering problems involving forces in three-dimensional space.

3. What are the three components of a force in 3D?

The three components of a force in 3D are the x-component, y-component, and z-component. These components represent the force acting along the x-axis, y-axis, and z-axis respectively.

4. How do you calculate the components of a force in 3D?

To calculate the x-component of a force, you can use the formula Fx = Fcosθ, where F is the magnitude of the force and θ is the angle it makes with the x-axis. Similarly, the y-component can be calculated using Fy = Fsinθ and the z-component using Fz = Fcosφ, where φ is the angle the force makes with the z-axis.

5. Can a force be resolved into more than three parts in 3D?

Yes, a force can be resolved into any number of parts in 3D. However, resolving it into three parts is the most common approach as it allows us to analyze the force's effects in three perpendicular directions, simplifying the problem and providing a comprehensive understanding of the force's impact.