Resonant frequency of a pipe submerged under water

In summary, to calculate the resonant frequency of a pipe submerged in water, you take the speed of sound in water (1481m/s at room temperature) and divide it by the length of the pipe in meters multiplied by 4. If the pipe is open at both ends, it needs to be half a wavelength long instead of a quarter. However, if the pipe is closed at one end, the calculation may not be as simple and the behavior may be affected by the material of the pipe and internal pressure variations.
supak111
How do I calculate a resonate frequency of a length of pipe submerged totally under water?

Do I just take speed of sound in water which is 1,481m/s at room temp, and decided it by length of pipe in meters multiplied by 4?

so at 20 celsius water and 20cm pipe it would just be: 1481 / (.2 x 4) = 1851.25Hz??

Physics news on Phys.org
supak111 said:
How do I calculate a resonate frequency of a length of pipe submerged totally under water?

Do I just take speed of sound in water which is 1,481m/s at room temp, and decided it by length of pipe in meters multiplied by 4?

so at 20 celsius water and 20cm pipe it would just be: 1481 / (.2 x 4) = 1851.25Hz??
Remember that if the pipe is open at both ends then it needs to be half a wavelength long rather than a quarter.

The formula given is for a half open pipe

Thanks everyone, yes I was wondering about a pipe that's closed on one end, forgot to specify.

If the 'experiment' relates to some system for the measurement of pipe length then it may not be as simple as that.
On a practical level, the behaviour of a pipe full of water might be more affected by the material of the pipe than the air column that the model . The modulus of water is very high, compared with air so I wonder what the effective length of a PVC pipe might be. The pipe with water in it is likely to flex due to internal pressure variations and interact much more than for an air column in the same pipe (that's in addition to the different inherent wave speed).

Likes nasu and Arjan82

1. What is the resonant frequency of a pipe submerged under water?

The resonant frequency of a pipe submerged under water is the frequency at which the pipe will vibrate with the greatest amplitude when excited by an external force.

2. How is the resonant frequency of a pipe submerged under water calculated?

The resonant frequency of a pipe submerged under water is calculated using the formula f = (nv/2L), where n is the number of antinodes (points of maximum vibration), v is the speed of sound in water, and L is the length of the pipe.

3. What factors affect the resonant frequency of a pipe submerged under water?

The length and diameter of the pipe, the speed of sound in water, and the density of the water all affect the resonant frequency of a pipe submerged under water. Additionally, the material and thickness of the pipe can also have an impact on the resonant frequency.

4. Why is the resonant frequency of a pipe submerged under water important?

The resonant frequency of a pipe submerged under water is important because it can be used to determine the structural integrity of the pipe. If the pipe is exposed to external forces that match its resonant frequency, it can lead to excessive vibrations and potential damage.

5. How can the resonant frequency of a pipe submerged under water be altered?

The resonant frequency of a pipe submerged under water can be altered by changing the length or diameter of the pipe, the speed of sound in water, or the density of the water. Additionally, adding weight or changing the material of the pipe can also affect the resonant frequency.