Where can I find beginner resources for learning LaTEX?

In summary: Be careful. If you happen to be that one dude who can explain LaTeX solutions in normal language, there is a chance I'll ask you to marry me. My wife will not like that (and neither will my kids).In summary, LaTeX is a typesetting language that can be used to create mathematical documents. It is available for both Windows and Mac, and can be edited using a software called Equation Editor. There are a number of good tutorials and books to help get started.
Falgun
Okay so I find myself with quite a bit of time on my hands and I have always been a messy note taker so I decided to learn LaTEX just for the heck of it. I searched for previous threads but they were generally confusing. I have very minimum programming experience. So I would really appreciate it if someone could start me on my journey by telling me about the standard software for LaTEX on a Windows laptop. Also kindly recommend some tutorials/books,etc.

Physics news on Phys.org
Likes malawi_glenn, Falgun and madscientist_93
My problem with Latex is that if I have an error and look for similar error-reports on forums like stackexchange, the answers tend to be for Linux-like geeks. Something rather trivial can become a 5 hours long frustration, and after the first advice I already feel lost and retarded. Same goes for R, btw.

But then you see the fonts and crappy usability of Windows Equation Editor, and you realize that's even worse.

And to answer your question: did you search on your native language? In my own native language (Dutch) there are some pretty good introductions.

Likes Falgun
haushofer said:
My problem with Latex is that if I have an error and look for similar error-reports on forums like stackexchange, the answers tend to be for Linux-like geeks. Something rather trivial can become a 5 hours long frustration, and after the first advice I already feel lost and retarded. Same goes for R, btw.

But then you see the fonts and crappy usability of Windows Equation Editor, and you realize that's even worse.

And to answer your question: did you search on your native language? In my own native language (Dutch) there are some pretty good introductions.
I'm pretty comfortable in English. And yes I did run a Google search. Most people recommended this book called "More math into LaTeX" by Gratzer and others recommended "The not so short introduction to LaTeX 2e".

Likes vanhees71
Type out a large proof that also requires graphical representations. Even if you have to copy it off something else, it gives you plenty of experience in formatting and syntax.

Falgun said:
Also kindly recommend some tutorials/books,etc.
When you're typing a post here at PF, there is a link to our tutorial in the lower left corner -- LaTeX Guide. If you're completely new to LaTeX, this is a good place to start.

Likes Falgun and vanhees71
haushofer said:
Yes. I certainly will do so. Perhaps putting a remark in the OP: "please treat me like I'm an idiot" 😋
You can tag me. I'll be gentle!

Likes haushofer
DrClaude said:
You can tag me. I'll be gentle!
Be careful. If you happen to be that one dude who can explain LaTeX solutions in normal language, there is a chance I'll ask you to marry me. My wife will not like that (and neither will my kids).

But all sillyness on a stick (as we put it in Holland), I have a hard time installing packages, so I'll probably make use of your gesture in the near future.

• Haha
Likes Falgun
I'd suggest going veeeeery slowly. Don't attempt an Opera Magna. I don't feel comfortable with LATEX so I go in small steps.

1. What is LaTEX and why is it useful for scientific writing?

LaTEX is a typesetting system that allows scientists to create professional-looking documents with complex mathematical equations and symbols. It is particularly useful for scientific writing because it ensures consistency and accuracy in formatting, and allows for easy collaboration and version control.

2. Where can I find resources for learning LaTEX?

There are many online resources available for learning LaTEX, including tutorials, documentation, and forums where users can ask for help. Some popular websites include Overleaf, TeX Stack Exchange, and the LaTEX project website.

3. Is LaTEX difficult to learn?

While LaTEX may seem intimidating at first, it is not necessarily difficult to learn. Like any new skill, it takes time and practice to become proficient, but there are many resources available to help beginners get started.

4. Do I need any special software to use LaTEX?

LaTEX is a free and open-source program, and there are multiple software options available for using it, such as TeXworks, TeXstudio, and LyX. However, some online platforms, such as Overleaf, allow users to write and compile LaTEX documents without installing any software.

5. Can I use LaTEX for other types of documents besides scientific papers?

Yes, LaTEX can be used for a variety of documents, including resumes, presentations, and even books. It is particularly useful for any document that requires precise formatting, such as legal or technical documents.