Resources to learn more about what engineering is?

In summary, there are several resources available to introduce you to the world of engineering and help you determine if it is the right career path for you. The NSPE and NAE websites provide comprehensive overviews, while the "Engineering is Elementary" program and books by Henry Petroski and Donald Norman offer a more hands-on and practical approach to understanding engineering. These resources can help you gain a clearer understanding of engineering and its potential for your future career.
miaoya
Hello! Can anybody here recommand any website/book that can give example about/introduce to me what engineering really is or what do engineers typically do? I have tried search for it online but it seems that it is really hard to find...

I want to look at more information about engineering because I feel like I might like engineering and want to know if this is really the case. I noticed that I would become interested when the professor talks about how people use a known science principle to create something that is useful, also I feel like I am sensitive about the characteristic of different objects or materials and the advantage/disadvantage of using them in a particular way. And I would say that I am someone that has a desire to create and design things for my life rather than study things that already exist or anything else. For me these sounds like they are greatly related to an engineer's job. But I haven't really learn/heard about what engineering really is before in my life so I can't be sure if I am right or not, so I would like to look at some websites/books etc. to learn more about engineering and see if I really like it or not, and if I do how much do I like it.

Is there anything out there that is similar to what I have mentioned? If so please tell me and I will really appreciate your help! :)

Physics news on Phys.org

I would recommend checking out the National Society of Professional Engineers (NSPE) website (https://www.nspe.org/resources/what-engineering) for a comprehensive overview of what engineering is and what engineers typically do. They also have resources for students who are interested in pursuing a career in engineering.

Another great resource is the National Academy of Engineering's website (https://www.nae.edu/19582/What-is-Engineering), which provides a detailed explanation of the different types of engineering and the impact of engineering on society.

For a more hands-on approach, I would suggest checking out the "Engineering is Elementary" program by the Museum of Science, Boston (https://www.eie.org/what-is-engineering), which offers a variety of activities and lesson plans to introduce students to the world of engineering.

If you are interested in reading books about engineering, I would recommend "To Engineer is Human" by Henry Petroski and "The Design of Everyday Things" by Donald Norman. Both books explore the everyday applications of engineering and how it affects our lives.

I hope these resources will provide you with a better understanding of engineering and help you determine if it is the right career path for you. Best of luck in your exploration!

1. What are some reliable websites to learn more about engineering?

Some reliable websites to learn more about engineering include National Society of Professional Engineers (NSPE), American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), and Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE). These websites offer a wide range of resources such as articles, blogs, webinars, and online courses to help individuals learn more about engineering.

2. Are there any online courses available to learn about engineering?

Yes, there are many online courses available to learn about engineering. Some popular platforms include Coursera, edX, Udemy, and Khan Academy. These courses cover various engineering disciplines such as mechanical, electrical, civil, and computer engineering.

3. What books would you recommend for someone interested in learning about engineering?

Some books that are highly recommended for individuals interested in learning about engineering include "Introduction to Engineering: Modeling and Problem Solving" by Jay Brockman, "Fundamentals of Engineering Thermodynamics" by Michael J. Moran, and "Civil Engineering Reference Manual for the PE Exam" by Michael R. Lindeburg. These books cover a wide range of engineering topics and provide a solid foundation for understanding the principles of engineering.

4. Are there any podcasts or YouTube channels that discuss engineering topics?

Yes, there are several podcasts and YouTube channels that discuss engineering topics. Some popular options include "Engineering Podcasts" by IEEE, "The Engineering Commons Podcast" by Jeff Shelton, and "Learn Engineering" on YouTube. These platforms provide informative and entertaining content on various engineering subjects.

5. How can I network with other engineers and professionals in the field?

One of the best ways to network with other engineers and professionals in the field is by joining professional organizations and attending conferences and events. These organizations and events provide opportunities to meet and connect with other engineers, learn about new developments in the field, and potentially find mentors or job opportunities. Some examples of professional organizations include the Society of Women Engineers (SWE), American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), and National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE).