Resultant Force: Something I am messing up on in calculation - ?

In summary, the person is struggling with a resultant force word problem and is using a TI-89 Titanium calculator. However, they are getting a different answer than the correct answer and are wondering if they are missing something. After some discussion with others, they realize that their calculator may be too advanced for the problem and switch to a simpler calculator, which helps them solve the problem correctly.
nukeman
Resultant Force: Something I am messing up on in calculation - ?

Homework Statement

Hey all,

This is a resultant force word problem. I will just post the my answer and the problems answer. I have no idea why there is a different answer here.

Correct: R^2=1500^2+2300^2 - 2 x 1500 x 2300 Cos(138)
Correct Answer = R = 3559.2 Newton

My answer is WAYYY off, so there is something I am missing here...

By the way, I am using the TI-89 Titanium

Thanks for any help!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org

nukeman said:

Homework Statement

Hey all,

This is a resultant force word problem. I will just post the my answer and the problems answer. I have no idea why there is a different answer here.

Correct: R^2=1500^2+2300^2 - 2 x 1500 x 2300 Cos(138)
Correct Answer = R = 3559.2 Newton

My answer is WAYYY off, so there is something I am missing here...

By the way, I am using the TI-89 Titanium

Thanks for any help!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I get the correct answer just typing it into a cheap ativa scientific calculator.

Can you say what keystrokes you used to get your incorrect answer? I did something like:

cos 138 =

* 2300 =

* 1500 =

* -2 =

+ 2300^2 =

+ 1500^2 =

SQRT =

Maybe it's TOO much calculator for too SMALL a problem.

First question: Is you calculator in 'degree' mode, like berkeman's obviously is?

Thanks both of you.

I figured it out. Sammy, you were basically right, it was too much of a calc for it. Yes, I was in the wrong mode. PAIN in the butt!

So, pulled out my dusty Casio calculator and BOOM! solved :)

Thanks guys

As a scientist, it is important to always double check your calculations and make sure you are using the correct equations and values. In this case, it seems like you may have made a mistake in your calculation or used the wrong values. I would suggest going back and checking your work step by step to identify where the error may have occurred. Additionally, it may be helpful to ask a classmate or teacher for assistance in understanding the problem and finding the correct solution. Don't get discouraged, mistakes happen and it's important to learn from them and keep trying. Good luck!

1. What is a resultant force?

A resultant force is the single force that can replace multiple forces acting on an object and cause the same effect on the object's motion.

2. How do you calculate resultant force?

To calculate resultant force, you need to use vector addition. This means adding all the forces acting on an object together, taking into account their direction and magnitude.

3. What if the forces are acting in different directions?

If the forces are acting in different directions, you will need to use trigonometry to calculate the components of each force in the x and y directions. Then, you can add the x components and y components separately to find the resultant force.

4. What units are used to measure resultant force?

Resultant force is typically measured in Newtons (N), which is a unit of force in the International System of Units (SI).

5. How do I know if I calculated the resultant force correctly?

You can check your calculations by making sure that the resultant force is in the same direction as the object's motion. Additionally, you can use the equation F=ma (force equals mass times acceleration) to see if the resultant force matches the expected acceleration of the object.