Resultant forces of coplanar systems

In summary: Well, because the resultant is not in equilibrium, the moments around O will also not be in equilibrium. This means that you can find the total moment around O by adding up the moments around O. In this case, the total moment around O is 19.9 kN.
SUCRALOSE

Homework Statement

Determine the magnitude of F if the resultant of the three forces passes through point O.

Homework Equations

ƩFx = 0
ƩFy = 0
ƩM = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

The most I can come up with is that the two forces on the left would equal F on the right, and trying to ratio the force and distance it still does not work.

Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    2.1 KB · Views: 543
Likes Jacob Sigging
Physics news on Phys.org
540 views and no one person on here can even throw a simple hint my way... I am at a loss as to why. I read the rules and have done everything instructed. What's the deal here?

Last edited:
Can you explain the diagram a bit. Is it some rigid structure that is in equilibrium?

If it's in equilibrium, I think you can sum up moments at O and resolve F to its x and y components and find the moment due to each component. Or you could just sum up forces along x and y to 0 (but since there's no angle I think you should use the moment method).

**Just noticed you need the resultant force.. I think you should use Varignon's theorem.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies,

The question states, "determine the magnitude of the vertical force F if the resultant of the three forces acting on the crank passes through the bearing O."

So if it's a crank and the resultant is passing through a bearing then it is not in equilibrium, I am assuming.

I have tried summing the forces on the right side and converting that into it's x & y coordinates, but that does not work. I have worked out all angles and have tried lots, but nothing has worked.

The answer is 19.9 kN, just can seem to find out how to get to that.

You're right, its not necessarily in equilibrium. Luckily, you don't need to know if its in equilibrium to answer the question. The key is in the definition of the resultant force (which I just looked up to try to get my head round it). The question says that the resultant force passes through O, so what does this tell us about the sum of the moments around O?

1. What is a coplanar system?

A coplanar system refers to a system of forces that all lie on the same plane.

2. How are resultant forces calculated in coplanar systems?

Resultant forces in coplanar systems can be calculated using vector addition, where the individual forces are added together to determine the net force.

3. What is the significance of resultant forces in coplanar systems?

The resultant force represents the overall force acting on an object in a coplanar system, and can be used to determine the motion and equilibrium of the object.

4. Can the direction of the resultant force in a coplanar system change?

Yes, the direction of the resultant force can change depending on the magnitudes and directions of the individual forces in the system. It can also change if the individual forces are not all acting on the same plane.

5. How is the equilibrium of an object determined in a coplanar system?

An object in a coplanar system is in equilibrium when the net force acting on it is zero. This can be determined by calculating the resultant force and checking if it is equal to zero or by using the conditions of equilibrium, where the sum of all forces and moments acting on the object must be equal to zero.