Resume Question about Research Experience and Publications

In summary, you should decide what looks best on your resume, but you might want to list upper division coursework if you have it.
teknodude
At this moment I am typing up my resume for an engineering career fair coming up this week. I lost my resume doc from last year, so I have to type it up from scratch and memory. The old one was pretty standard like objective, education, experience etc. I did some volunteer undergrad research over the summer and now have a publication under my belt.

I'm trying to figure out where to add this new information. Some ideas

1. Include my reserach experience in the experience section of my resume, then add the publication under the education section:

EX.
Experience:
Volunteer Lab Asistant For MCL June 2007-Present
-Prepared and fabricated Nanocomposites
-Assisted in testing Nanocomposite samples under the testing machine(I forgot the name, I will look it up later)

EX
Publications: Nanocomposite Report
Researcher, Lab Asistant1, ME, Professor
(include name of publication website)

2. Make an separate topic for RESEARCH and include all the above information, however, this might take up a lot of space that I might need to relevant coursework.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd probably do the first, but you should decide what looks best on your resume.

For a resume, especially when you only have a single publication, I'd suggest you list both under experience.

EX.
Experience:
Volunteer Lab Asistant For MCL June 2007-Present
-Prepared and fabricated Nanocomposites
-Assisted in testing Nanocomposite samples under the testing machine
-Resulted in publication: (full citation of your article)

You definitely want to list the publication with the experience, because that emphasizes the quality of that experience, and your accomplishments, level of responsibility, etc.

You might even want to add a touch more detail there, especially if that's experience directly related to the area of work you want to get into. For example, say a little more about what the nanocomposites were so the reader knows you really knew what you were doing.

Thanks for the suggestions. The fair was 2 days ago, and the research experience on my resume brought some pretty nice discussions with the recruiters. I basically put it under experience:
<Name of Lab>
Volunteer Laboratory Assistant
•Located required materials to conduct experiments
•Prepared and fabricated Nanocomposite samples
•Assisted in testing Nanocomposite samples in using the Differential Scanning Calorimeter and the Thermogravimetric Analyzer

Many of them thought the above was an internship. I guess because I forgot to mention the location of the lab which was at my school.

I'm thinking about changing it something like this

<Name of Lab>
Volunteer Laboratory Assistant
•located required materials to conduct experiments
•Worked with Vinyl ester resin in fabricating aluminum oxide, cerium oxide and copper oxide nanocomposites.
•Assisted in testing Nanocomposite samples using the Differential Scanning Calorimeter and the Thermogravimetric Analyzer.

What are the opinions of putting down a list of upper divison coursework on a resume? I've gotten mixed responses from different career counselors and friends.

1. What should I include in the research experience section of my resume?

In the research experience section of your resume, you should include the name of the research project, the name of the research institution or organization, your role and responsibilities in the project, and the duration of your involvement. You should also include any relevant skills and techniques you used, as well as any notable achievements or publications resulting from the research.

2. How do I format my publications on my resume?

When listing publications on your resume, you should include the title of the publication, the names of all authors, the name of the journal or conference, the date of publication, and a link or DOI if available. If you have multiple publications, you can list them in reverse chronological order, with the most recent publication first.

3. Should I include research experience and publications that are not directly related to my field?

It is generally recommended to include all research experience and publications on your resume, even if they are not directly related to your field. This shows your ability to conduct research and publish your findings, which can be valuable skills in any scientific field. However, if you have limited space on your resume, prioritize including research experience and publications that are most relevant to the job you are applying for.

4. How should I describe my research experience on my resume?

When describing your research experience on your resume, use concise and specific language to highlight your role and contributions in the project. Use action verbs to describe your responsibilities and achievements, and focus on any skills or techniques you used. You can also include any notable results or publications that resulted from the research.

5. Can I include ongoing research projects on my resume?

Yes, you can include ongoing research projects on your resume. In this case, you can list the project as "ongoing" or "in progress" and provide an estimated completion date. You can also include any significant progress or achievements you have made in the project so far. Be prepared to discuss your ongoing research projects in more detail during an interview.