1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Retarding Force proportional to the velocity falling particl

1. Feb 12, 2016 #1
    Example problem from a Classical Mechanics book.
    Find the displacement and velocity of a particle undergoing vertical motion in a medium having a retarding force proportional to the velocity.

F = m(dv/dt) = -mg-kmv

dv/(kv + g) = -dt

(1/k)ln(kv + g) = -t + c

kv + g = e^(-kt+kc)

v = (dz/dt) = (-g/k) + ((k(Vo) + g)/k)e^(-kt)

I dont see how the e^(-kt + kc) is turning into ((k(Vo) + g)/k
    I know a property of exponents allows you to separate the exponents powers when they are being added, then each one becomes the power of an exponent which is where e^-kt comes from, but Im not sure about where the other half of the exponent goes.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2016 #2
    Hi Decypher:

I think y ou have a sigh error. mg is the force of gravity pulling the mass towards rthe Earth, and kmv is a retarding force, slowing down the pull. The direction of these forces are opposite.

Hope this is helpful.

Regards,
    Buzz

4. Feb 12, 2016 #3
    I spent a great amount of time on this part you are mentioning. The book does not provide a great description on this statement.
    "Where -kmv represents a positive upward force since we take z and v = z(dot) to be positive upward, and the motion is downward-that is, v<0, so that -kmv > 0."
    I think they are saying that because we are treating a positive velocity as one that is going higher on the z axis, whe have to treat -kmv as kmv because when a negative velocity is plugged in, kmv becomes an opposing force once again. It makes more sense to me to have it be g-kv just like a force opposing gravity should be.

5. Feb 12, 2016 #4
    Hi Decypher:

OK. I think the first quoted sentence would have been clearer if the word "upward" had preceded "vertical".

The above quote is not what you want to do. I suggest you take the equation
    and fill in the missing step: subtract g from both sides, and divide both sides by k. Then make the substitution v = dz/dt.

Then you should be able to make a substitution for c (which is an arbitrary constant of integration) which will give you what you want.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Buzz

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook