Retarding impact force when object impacts stationary object

In summary: If you are interested in average momentum exchange per unit time then you want a time-weighted average.In this case, the teacher wants a distance-weighted average.
GeorgeMJ
Member advised to retain and use all three sections of the Homework Formatting Template

Homework Statement

in a metal stamping machine, the upper die block has a mass of 35kg and falls from a height of 2m on to a fixed metal block.
if the depth of indentation is found to be 10mm, find the average stamping force assuming the upper die block does not rebound.

force=work/distance ?
power= work/time ?

hello i am very stuck on this question

work=35 x 9.8 x 2
=686J

Force= 343N

2gh= v^2

2 x 9.8 x 2 = v
v = 39.2 m/s ?

power = 17.5 w

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums. So it looks like you calculated the potential energy to be 686 J. That looks correct. Then you calculated Force = 343 N. That looks right too, which is the weight = (35 kg)(9.8 m/s^2) = 343 N. Then you used the potential energy to calculate v2. That looks right too. That is the velocity squared of the block just before it hits the surface. So if it was me, I would probably work this using kinematic equations. You know the initial velocity, you know the final velocity, and you know the distance. So you can get the average acceleration from that. From that you could get the average force.

Or else, you could also use the force = work/distance equation that you listed. You know the distance to be 10 mm for which the average force is applied, right? And you know the amount of work that will be done to stop the block because you already calculated it. Does that make sense?

GeorgeMJ said:

Homework Statement

in a metal stamping machine, the upper die block has a mass of 35kg and falls from a height of 2m on to a fixed metal block.
if the depth of indentation is found to be 10mm, find the average stamping force assuming the upper die block does not rebound.

force=work/distance ?
power= work/time ?

hello i am very stuck on this question

work=35 x 9.8 x 2
=686J

Force= 343N

2gh= v^2

2 x 9.8 x 2 = v
v = 39.2 m/s ?

power = 17.5 w
Unfortunately the question is flawed. There is not enough information to work out the average force. That is because the average force is defined as ##F_{avg}=\frac {\Delta p}{\Delta t}=\frac{\int F.dt}{\int.dt}##, not ##\frac{\Delta E}{\Delta s}=\frac{\int F.ds}{\int .ds}##.
The two will be the same if the force is constant, but if the force is known to be constant why ask for average force?
See part 3 of https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/frequently-made-errors-mechanics-forces/.

So actually it is 686 Joules of kinetic energy, just before it hits the metal. The metal does work on the die, slowing it down. They tell you the distance it travels while slowing. How can you use this and the Work formula to find the average force exerted to slow it down?

scottdave said:
How can you use this and the Work formula to find the average force exerted to slow it down?
You can't. See post #3.

Your post is interesting @haruspex . Perhaps since the question was posted in the introductory Physics section, then the teacher who assigned was looking for something a little simpler. The kinetic energy of the moving die will be converted into work (stamping the metal) plus some heat (most likely).

scottdave said:
The kinetic energy of the moving die will be converted into work (stamping the metal) plus some heat (most likely).
Well, it all ends up as heat, but that is irrelevant. The point is that if the force is not constant then work/distance does not yield the average force.

haruspex said:
Well, it all ends up as heat, but that is irrelevant. The point is that if the force is not constant then work/distance does not yield the average force.
At introductory level, I believe that "average force" means "we know the force will vary, but what constant force would achieve the same outcome".

PeterO said:
At introductory level, I believe that "average force" means "we know the force will vary, but what constant force would achieve the same outcome".
Average force is well-defined. Giving the wrong impression that it can be calculated as ΔE/Δs is misleading, and leads the next generation of educators to propagate the error. It is quite easy to write instead "find the force, assuming it is constant".

haruspex said:
Average force is well-defined. Giving the wrong impression that it can be calculated as ΔE/Δs is misleading, and leads the next generation of educators to propagate the error. It is quite easy to write instead "find the force, assuming it is constant".
I bristle a bit at the idea that "average force" necessarily denotes a time-weighted average. A distance-weighted average is still an "average".

Edit: Which average you want depends on what you are going to do with the average. If you are going to multiply it by total path length to get work done then you want a distance-weighted average (and you want a scalar). If you are going to multiply it by elapsed time to get momentum transferred then you want a time-weighted average (and you want a vector).

jbriggs444 said:
I bristle a bit at the idea that "average force" necessarily denotes a time-weighted average.
It's the only way to make it consistent with average acceleration. Indeed, you could have a distance-weighted average acceleration, but I think you would agree that an unqualified reference to "average acceleration" definitely means a time-weighted one.

I have checked many authoritative-looking references on the net. I only found two that appeared to accept distance-weighted. I wrote to the author of one (Prof Rod Nave, hyperphysics). He agreed it was wrong and rewrote the page.

It's an interesting exercise to compare the two different "average" forces for SHM.

I suspect that average force is not a useful concept anyway in the real world, just an easy question to devise for students. Maximum force is of greater practical interest.

Likes jbriggs444

1. How can the impact force of an object be reduced when it collides with a stationary object?

The impact force of an object can be reduced by increasing the impact time. This can be achieved by using materials that are able to deform or compress upon impact, thereby absorbing some of the energy from the collision.

2. What factors affect the impact force when an object collides with a stationary object?

The impact force is affected by the mass, velocity, and elasticity of the colliding objects. A heavier and faster-moving object will have a greater impact force, while a more elastic object will be able to absorb more energy and reduce the impact force.

3. How does the angle of impact affect the impact force?

The angle of impact can greatly affect the impact force. A head-on collision will result in a higher impact force compared to a glancing collision, where the force will be distributed over a longer period of time and therefore reduced.

4. Is it possible to completely eliminate the impact force when an object collides with a stationary object?

No, it is not possible to completely eliminate the impact force. However, it can be greatly reduced by using impact-absorbing materials or designing structures to absorb and distribute the force over a larger area.

5. Are there any safety measures that can be taken to reduce the impact force of collisions?

Yes, there are various safety measures that can be taken to reduce the impact force of collisions. These include using safety barriers, designing structures to deform upon impact, and using materials with high impact-absorbing properties. Properly following traffic laws and speed limits can also greatly reduce the impact force of collisions.