Reverce log, Anti-log, or unlog whitch is correct?

  • Thread starter Thread starter madcat8000
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Log
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 6K views
madcat8000
Messages
111
Reaction score
0
Title pretty much says it, is there an offical opinion that can be quoted somewhere to win a bet? I like unlog or Reverse log but Anti-log just sounds goofy.
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
madcat8000 said:
Title pretty much says it, is there an offical opinion that can be quoted somewhere to win a bet? I like unlog or Reverse log but Anti-log just sounds goofy.
The terms antilog (short for antilogarithm) and inverse logarithm are occasionally used. I don't believe that either "reverce" (correct spelling is reverse) log or unlog are ever used.
 
In the days before electronic calculators, when people used log tables or slide rules to do multiplication and division, they were called antilogs.

In mathematics today, a better name for the inverse of natural logs would be exponentials, and for logs to other bases, powers.