Reversal of earth's magnetic field

1. I understand that the sun changes magnetic polarity far more often than Earth does (correct me if I'm wrong as it's just what I read).

Apparently it is statistically likely that the earth's magnetic field will change polarity at some time, so what sort of effects will this have in practcal terms on us and our environment, apart from ruining the betting odds of any sensible result in pigeon racing or possibly getting the auroras in odd places

Can you think of any products which would be advantageous to have given this situation if it happened suddenly as I'd like to get in with the patents well before the event!

2. jcsd
    Earth sciences news on Phys.org
  3. Evo

Staff: Mentor

The reversal isn't sudden, it usually happens gradually over a period of 1,000-5,000 years. It's been ~780k years since the last reversal, and scientists say it may happen in another 1,000 years, or not.

From the many articles and programs I have read, the wikipedia article actually does a fine job of briefly going over the issues.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geomagnetic_reversal

I can post other links later. But you should read this first.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  4. davenn

davenn 3,675
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2014 Award

hi Evo,

you had better correct your 780 million years to 780,000 yrs :wink:

there's been some 20 - 21 reversals in the last 5 million years

cheers
    Dave

5. Evo

Staff: Mentor

LOL!! Corrected, thanks! I got it correct in other threads I've posted on this. We've had quite a few.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?

Draft saved Draft deleted