1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Studying Review for Upper Division Class Mechanics course?

1. Dec 10, 2016 #1
    Hello, I will take Classical Mechanics I (upper division) course fall of 2017.

I have not seen Mechanics material since fall of 2014 and would like suggestions on how to review the concepts prior to taking the class.

I was pretty good in that class and do not need to "re-learn" anything per say, but would simply like to go through a handful of problems per each chapter. Where should I take these problems from? Any suggestions?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2016 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Why just a handful? If you've mastered the material, it shouldn't take all that long to do all of them, especially if you have a year. If you haven't mastered the material, maybe it's a good idea to spend some time on it.

4. Dec 10, 2016 #3
    "All of them", does this mean do the 120 problems found at the end of each chapter in your typical heavy intro physics textbook? Explain what you mean here.
    I would prefer you answer the question and not get philosophical here. Otherwise, save your time and do not answer it at all.

5. Dec 10, 2016 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Gee, that makes we want to give you another piece of advice.

6. Dec 13, 2016 #5
    Well I apologize, but you did not seem quite interested in giving advice in the first place.
    You are telling me to do every problem without specifying where these problems are coming from. Some intro books have hundreds of problems per chapter, while an AP review book might have like 20.

If you were me, which resources would you refer to ? Etc.

7. Dec 13, 2016 #6
    Pro-tip, being rude to people is not going to make them want to help you.

But to your question, if you have a textbook to work from, do as many problems from each section as you feel you need to be sure you've mastered the material. If that means you only do a few questions from chapter 1 or whatever because it's easy for you, fine, move on to the next. Only you can know how prepared you are.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted