Review of Concepts: Air Recycling Systems (closed-loop/open-loop)

In summary, the conversation discussed arranging 6 elements into categories of closed-loop/open-loop systems and CO2 removal/oxygen supply. The correct arrangement is: Closed-loop CO2 removal: Rapid cycling amine, Metal oxide absorber. Closed-loop oxygen supply: Water electrolysis. Open-loop CO2 removal: Lithium hydroxide. Open-loop oxygen supply: Cryogenic tanks, Chlorate candles. It was also noted that water electrolysis can be both open or closed loop, depending on the circumstances.
Jonathan F
Homework Statement
Review of Concepts: Air Recycling Systems
Classify each of the following methods according to whether it is used to supply oxygen or remove CO 2 , and whether it is most closely associated with an open-loop or closed-loop process.
Relevant Equations
1. Chlorate Candles
2. Metal Oxide Absorbers
3. Rapid Cycling Anime System
4. Water Electrolysis
5. Cryogenic Storage Tanks
6. Lithium Hydroxide Granules
Hey, first post here.
So I have to classify these 6 elements under closed-loop/open-loop system and under CO2 removal/oxygen supply.
I thought it should be:
Closed-loop CO2 removal: Rapid cycling anime, Lithium granules
Closed-loop oxygen supply: Water electrolysis, Cryogenic tanks
Open-loop CO2 removal: Metal oxide absorber
Open-loop oxygen supply: Chlorate candles

But I was wrong. Can someone please help me figure out how it is supposed to be arranged?
Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Jonathan F said:
I thought it should be:
Closed-loop CO2 removal: Rapid cycling anime, Lithium granules
Closed-loop oxygen supply: Water electrolysis, Cryogenic tanks
Open-loop CO2 removal: Metal oxide absorber
Open-loop oxygen supply: Chlorate candles

But I was wrong. Can someone please help me figure out how it is supposed to be arranged?
Thank you
Cryogenic tanks are definitely "open loop oxygen supply" category. Water electrolysis may be open or close loop depending on circumstances, but typically is open loop. Also, "amine", not "anime".

trurle said:
Cryogenic tanks are definitely "open loop oxygen supply" category. Water electrolysis may be open or close loop depending on circumstances, but typically is open loop. Also, "amine", not "anime".
Thx, I guess anime was an instinct.
The solution was:
Oxygen supply -
cryogenic (open)
chlorate candles (open)
water electrolysis (closed)

co2 removal -
lithium hydroxide (open)
metal oxide (closed)
rapid amine (closed)

Likes trurle

1. What is the purpose of air recycling systems?

The purpose of air recycling systems is to improve indoor air quality by removing pollutants and contaminants from the air and replacing it with fresh, clean air. It also helps to regulate temperature and humidity levels for optimal comfort and energy efficiency.

2. What is the difference between closed-loop and open-loop air recycling systems?

Closed-loop air recycling systems recirculate the same air within a building, filtering out contaminants and pollutants before returning it to the indoor space. Open-loop systems, on the other hand, bring in fresh air from outside and expel stale air, resulting in a continuous exchange of air.

3. How do air recycling systems contribute to sustainability?

Air recycling systems can contribute to sustainability by reducing energy consumption and greenhouse gas emissions. By reusing and filtering air, less energy is needed to heat or cool fresh air from outside, resulting in lower energy bills and a smaller carbon footprint.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using air recycling systems?

One potential drawback of air recycling systems is that they may not be able to completely eliminate all pollutants and contaminants from the air. Additionally, closed-loop systems may require more maintenance and filter replacements compared to open-loop systems.

5. How can I determine which type of air recycling system is best for my building?

The best type of air recycling system for a building depends on various factors such as the size and layout of the building, the local climate, and the level of air pollution in the area. It is best to consult with a professional HVAC technician to assess your building's needs and determine the most suitable system.