Review of modern non-equilibrium thermodynamics theories

In summary, the existing theories appear to be quite comprehensive and have been developed over a long time. However, there is a lack of an objective comparative review of them, which would be useful for further development.
SVN
Looking for thorough serious comparative review of modern generalisations of classical non-equilibrium thermodynamics of continua.

I have heard about several such generalisations:
1) rational mechanics by Truesdell, Coleman, Noll.
2) extended thermodynamics by Müller (and Ruggeri).
3) the GENERIC formalism by Gřmela and Öttinger.

Probably, there are more (Gyarmati or Meixner approaches, for example). Almost every single one of the persons, whose names are listed above, has published a monograph or at least a vast collection of research papers devoted to the subject. But all my efforts to find an objective comparative (at least relatively modern!) review of the existing theories were futile.

I would be grateful for a reference. Just to make myself clear, I am not interested in papers/monograph describing single approach and barely mentioning the others only to proceed to impressive array of applications of the selected theory ranging from galaxy cluster formation to hydrodynamics of viscous flow in porous media to ant colonies dynamics. I am looking for thoughtful and deep unbiased analysis of corner stones and comparison of features of the theories in stead (it is perfectly fine if it involves some serious math).

Science news on Phys.org
SVN said:
Looking for thorough serious comparative review of modern generalisations of classical non-equilibrium thermodynamics of continua.

I'd be interested in suitable sources as well. All I have now is a short intro chapter in
D. Jou, ‎J. Casas-Vazquez, ‎ and G. Lebon's book "Extended Irreversible Thermodynamics"

Andy Resnick said:
All I have now is a short intro chapter in D. Jou, ‎J. Casas-Vazquez, ‎ and G. Lebon's book "Extended Irreversible Thermodynamics"
Thank you, I checked the monograph you cited. For now it looks like the best shot. But actually, I was thinking about something deeper and more thorough (probably a journal review paper).

Some critique of basics and upshots of rational thermodynamics approach can be found in «A history of thermodynamics» by Ingo Müller. But I have my doubts it could be considered as unbiased (Müller is the father of an alternative approach).

1. What is non-equilibrium thermodynamics?

Non-equilibrium thermodynamics is a branch of thermodynamics that deals with systems that are not in a state of thermodynamic equilibrium. These systems are characterized by the presence of gradients, such as temperature, pressure, or chemical potential, which drive the system towards a steady state.

2. What are some examples of non-equilibrium systems?

Some examples of non-equilibrium systems include chemical reactions, biological systems, and fluid flow. These systems are constantly exchanging energy and matter with their surroundings, and are not in a state of thermodynamic equilibrium.

3. How is non-equilibrium thermodynamics different from equilibrium thermodynamics?

Equilibrium thermodynamics deals with systems that are in a state of thermodynamic equilibrium, meaning there are no gradients present and the system is at a constant temperature, pressure, and chemical potential. Non-equilibrium thermodynamics, on the other hand, deals with systems that are not in equilibrium and are driven by gradients.

4. What are the main theories in modern non-equilibrium thermodynamics?

The main theories in modern non-equilibrium thermodynamics include the Onsager reciprocal relations, the maximum entropy production principle, and the fluctuation-dissipation theorem. These theories have been developed to describe and predict the behavior of non-equilibrium systems.

5. How is non-equilibrium thermodynamics used in scientific research?

Non-equilibrium thermodynamics is used in a wide range of scientific research, including chemistry, biology, and engineering. It is used to study and understand the behavior of complex systems, such as living organisms, and to design and optimize processes in various industries. Non-equilibrium thermodynamics also has applications in climate science, as it can help explain and predict the behavior of Earth's climate system.