Revision: Register Machines Questions and Answers

• Thread starter terryfields
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Machines
In summary, the conversation discusses a question on register machines and the request for assistance in drawing the machine and creating a trace table for specific numbers. The person is unable to find notes on the topic and is seeking clarification on the meaning of the instructions provided.
stuck on a question on register machines for revision, basically i don't have the notes for these problems but i do have the questions and answers.

the question starts off giving us the information
1(1,2,7)
2(2,3)
3(1,4,9)
4(2,5)
5(1,6,10)
6(2,1)
7(1,8)
8(1,9)
9(1,10)
10(halt)

it then asks us to draw the machine which i have no idea what to do or where to start so could do with some help on this (searched the internet for notes to no avail) and then asks us to give the trace table for 3,4,5 which is simple however i need to know how to draw the thing in order to make this simple, thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to give us some context here. I have no idea what you mean by "register machine" other than to surmise that the list you gave is a set of instructions for a hypothetical computer.

The first item in the list is 1(1,2, 7). What does that mean? Give us a way to understand what this notation means, and we might be able to help you. If you don't know what it means, either, then you might be out of luck.

1. What is a register machine?

A register machine is a type of computer that uses a finite set of registers to store and manipulate data. It is a theoretical model of computation that is often used in computer science to study the properties of algorithms and their efficiency.

2. How does a register machine work?

A register machine works by executing a sequence of instructions, each of which can read from or write to the registers. These instructions can perform basic arithmetic operations, such as addition and subtraction, as well as conditional branching and looping.

3. What is the difference between a register machine and a Turing machine?

A register machine and a Turing machine are both theoretical models of computation, but they differ in their design. A Turing machine has an infinite tape of memory, while a register machine only has a finite set of registers. Additionally, register machines are more suited for studying low-level operations, while Turing machines are better for studying high-level algorithms.

4. How do register machines relate to real computers?

Register machines are not directly related to real computers, as they are purely theoretical models. However, the concepts and principles used in register machines can be applied to real computers, as they both use registers to store and manipulate data.

5. What are some advantages of using a register machine?

One advantage of using a register machine is that it allows for efficient computation, as the operations are performed directly on the registers rather than on a larger memory space. Additionally, register machines are easier to analyze and understand than other models of computation, making them useful for studying the properties of algorithms.