1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Revolutions per sec (centripital acceleration)

1. Oct 23, 2007 #1

~christina~

Gold Member

[SOLVED] Revolutions per sec (centripital acceleration)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    As their booster rockets seperate, space shuttle astronauts typically feel acclerations up to 3g where g= 9.80ms^2. In their training astronauts ride in a device in which they experience such accelrations as centripital accleration. Specifically, the astronaut is fastened securely at the end of a mechanical arm and that turns at constant speed in a horizontal circle.

determine the rotation rate in revolutions per sec required to give a astronaut a centripital accelration of 3.00kg while in a circular motion with the radius of 9.45m

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]a_c = v^2/r [/tex]

T= 2pi*r/ v

3. The attempt at a solution

all I know is that the

[tex]a_c[/tex] = 3.00kg
    and that

r= 9.45m

I'm not sure what I do with this though since wouldn't the accelration usually be in m/s^2 but in this case it is in kg...how can this be?

well I also don't have the velocity either...

I was thinking of substituting the centripital accelration equation into the period T equation to get rid of v however I do know that speed is constant but velocity magnitude doesn't change since speed doesn't change but the magnitude I know does..

Can someone help me out with this...

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2007 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think the question is supposed to say "centripetal acceleration of 3g" not 3.00 kg. Just seems like a typo. Your initial thoughts are quite correct. You can eliminate v to work out what T will be.

4. Oct 23, 2007 #3

~christina~

Gold Member

thanks Kurdt

Last edited: Oct 23, 2007
  5. Oct 23, 2007 #4

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think so. You will never get an acceleration reported in units of mass unless there is a typo or mistake. :smile:

6. Oct 23, 2007 #5

~christina~

Gold Member

wait so how can it be in g then ??

you did say that it was in g not kg but now you say it can't be in units of mass...I'm confused..

7. Oct 23, 2007 #6

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

g in this context is the acceleration due to gravity. So when somebody says there was an acceleration of 3g, they mean that the acceleration is 3 times the magnitude of the acceleration due to gravity. g was given in your question as g=9.80ms-2.

8. Oct 23, 2007 #7

~christina~

Gold Member

Oh I get it now... I thought it meant grams..
    Thanks Kurdt :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?