Question on circular motion involving astronauts and g force?

In summary, the question is asking for the maximum number of revolutions per second permissible for an astronaut being rotated in an arm of length 5.0m with a physical tolerance of 9g acceleration. The time of one revolution is the period (T) and the frequency (F) is related by the equation F = 1/T. By using the equation for centripetal acceleration, a = v^2/r, and substituting in the given values, the velocity is found to be 21m/s. The time (T) can then be calculated using the equation v = 2πr/T, giving a value of 1.50 seconds. Therefore, the maximum frequency (F) is 0.67 Hz
Tangeton
The question is: If an astronaut who can physically withstand acceleration up to 9 times that of free fall (9g) is being rotated in an arm of length 5.0m what is the maximum number of revolutions per second permissible.

I approached this by considering 9g to be the centripetal acceleration (because as there is no other acceleration in circular motion).

I've worked out the time for one revolution many times, but I don't know how to do this the other way around. What equations should I use?

I know I haven't fallowed the strict guide to homework questions but I don't know the equations I could use other than that for centripetal acceleration, a = v^2/r, but that doesn't tell me anything about the maximum number of revolutions per second.

Can someone push me in the right direction for the start? I just look at the question and all equations related to circular motion and just nothing comes to my head.

Physics news on Phys.org
The time of one revolution is the period (usually symbolized by T) and you want the frequency. How are period and frequency related?

Doc Al said:
The time of one revolution is the period (usually symbolized by T) and you want the frequency. How are period and frequency related?

Oh frequency... F = 1/T. I do remember working out the Time T but I don't know if I was right about how I done it. I used the acceleration and so a = v2/r, 9g = v2/r. I then used this to find the v, v = sqrt of 9gr = 21ms-1 . And so now I guess I can work out the time T using v = 2∏r/T so T = 2∏r/v = (2∏ x 5.0)/21 = 10∏/21 = 1.50 s.

So F = 1/T = 1/ 1.50 = 0.67 (2sf), is this correct?

EDIT: Is 0.67Hz the final answer? Should I just say it needs to be less than 0.67 of a turn per second?

Looks good. Express like they asked: The maximum number of revolutions per sec is 0.67.

Likes 1 person

I would approach this question by first considering the physical limitations and safety concerns for the astronaut. While it is true that they can withstand 9g of acceleration, it is important to note that this is not a sustainable level of acceleration for long periods of time. Therefore, we should aim for a lower number of revolutions per second to ensure the safety and well-being of the astronaut.

Next, we can use the equation for centripetal acceleration, a = v^2/r, to calculate the maximum velocity that the astronaut can safely withstand while being rotated in the arm. We can then use this velocity to calculate the maximum number of revolutions per second using the equation v = 2πr/T, where T is the time for one revolution.

It is also important to consider the length of the arm and the radius of the circular path the astronaut will be traveling in. If the length of the arm is too short, the radius of the path will be smaller and the centripetal acceleration will be greater, potentially exceeding the 9g limit. Therefore, the length of the arm should also be taken into account when determining the maximum number of revolutions per second.

Additionally, we should also consider the effects of angular velocity on the astronaut's body. Rapid changes in angular velocity can cause disorientation and discomfort for the astronaut, so it is important to keep the revolutions per second at a manageable level for their well-being.

In summary, the maximum number of revolutions per second permissible for an astronaut being rotated in an arm of length 5.0m and withstanding up to 9g of acceleration would depend on the physical limitations and safety concerns for the astronaut, as well as the calculations of the centripetal acceleration and angular velocity. It is important to prioritize the safety and well-being of the astronaut while considering the equations and physical principles of circular motion.

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion refers to the movement of an object along a circular path, where the object maintains a constant distance from a fixed point or center.

2. How does circular motion affect astronauts?

Astronauts experience circular motion when they are in orbit around the Earth or other celestial bodies. This motion can cause them to feel a force called centripetal force, which pulls them towards the center of their orbit.

3. What is g force and how does it relate to circular motion?

G force, or gravitational force, is the force exerted on an object due to gravity. In circular motion, g force is experienced as a centrifugal force, which pushes an object away from the center of its orbit. This force is directly related to the speed and radius of the object's circular motion.

4. How do astronauts train for the effects of circular motion and g force?

Astronauts undergo extensive training to prepare for the effects of circular motion and g force. This includes simulation exercises, strength and endurance training, and practicing techniques to counteract the effects of g force, such as using special breathing techniques and wearing compression suits.

5. What are the potential risks of experiencing high levels of g force in circular motion?

High levels of g force can lead to negative effects on the human body, such as nausea, dizziness, and loss of consciousness. In extreme cases, it can even cause physical harm or death. Therefore, it is important for astronauts to undergo rigorous training and take necessary precautions to minimize the risks of g force during circular motion.