1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Revolving trig function around y-axis

1. Sep 5, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    http://imgur.com/a/emr1n
    01 x= 4tan(pi*y/4) , Find the volume of the solid by revolving shaded region about the y-axis

2. Relevant equations
    tan^2=sec^2 - 1

3. The attempt at a solution
    I ended up with 64-16pi using u-substitution, not sure if right, want a confirmation. I only have one last attempt on mathlab so really need this to be right, would like to know how you got to whatever the answer is, or if there's a way to check the answer, that would help a lot. Wolfram hasn't been of much help :/

Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2016 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What formula did you use for the volume? What was your integral before and after u-substitution? We are forbidden from doing the problem for you, so we cannot show you "...how you got to whatever the answer is".

4. Sep 5, 2016 #3
    yeah, sure. It's just that it's kind of long so didn't know if I should post:

http://imgur.com/a/SaVJF

5. Sep 5, 2016 #4
    basically the area of a circle by its height dx

substitute the equation f(y) = 4tan (pi*y/4) for r

so r^2 is tan^2 which is (sec^2 - 1)

found the integral by u substituting (pi*y/4) with u

so you can now integrate sec^2 and 1

which gives tan (u) - u

plugged those values in multiplied by the scalars I got from before which were 16*4pi

and after all that, give or take, I got 64-16pi. I'm not sure that's the right answer (it could be) I just only have one more shot on MathLab, and want to get someone who knows what they're talking about to chime in before I submit :/

Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  6. Sep 6, 2016 #5

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It looks OK.

I get the same result using a somewhat different set of steps.

7. Sep 6, 2016 #6
    bit the bullet and just clicked "final check" and....*drumroll* it's right!

Ha, thanks guys!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted