Reynolds Number of a circular plate perpendicular to external flow

In summary, The Reynolds number is a dimensionless number that is used to determine the type of flow (laminar or turbulent) around an object in a fluid. To find the Reynolds number for a circular plate perpendicular to external flow, you can use the diameter of the plate as a length scale. However, there is currently no equation available for a flat plate with a flow perpendicular to the diameter.
bmv19
Hello, I am trying to obtain how to find the Reynolds Number of a circular plate perpendicular to external flow. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem is what is the "length" of a flat perpendicular plate?

The diameter of the cylinder is 3 inches. The length of the tube is approximately 3 feet. The set of equations that I am using say that there is an equation for a flat plate in a external perpendicular flow. I have found equations for flat plates with the external flow parallel to the plate's length as represented in the wiki-site and different school notes. However, I have yet to obtain an equation for a flat plate with a flow perpendicular to the diameter.
The problem is diagrammed below... (This flow is not a pipe. Completely filled volume)
Flow:
--> ______________ __
--> /\ ......\ |
--> | |...... | Diameter
--> \/_____________/ _|_
-->
...|-----Length----|

What is the Reynolds Number of a circular plate perpendicular to external flow?

The Reynolds Number is a dimensionless quantity that characterizes the ratio of inertial forces to viscous forces in a fluid flow. In the case of a circular plate perpendicular to external flow, it is defined as the product of the plate diameter, the velocity of the external flow, and the fluid density, divided by the fluid viscosity.

Why is the Reynolds Number of a circular plate perpendicular to external flow important?

The Reynolds Number is important because it helps determine the type of flow regime that will occur around the circular plate. For low Reynolds Numbers, the flow will be laminar and smooth, while for high Reynolds Numbers, the flow will be turbulent and chaotic. This can have important implications for the performance and behavior of the plate in the external flow.

How do I calculate the Reynolds Number of a circular plate perpendicular to external flow?

The formula for calculating the Reynolds Number is Re = ρVD/μ, where ρ is the fluid density, V is the velocity of the external flow, D is the diameter of the circular plate, and μ is the fluid viscosity. These parameters can be measured or estimated to determine the Reynolds Number.

What is the significance of the critical Reynolds Number for a circular plate perpendicular to external flow?

The critical Reynolds Number is the value at which the flow around the circular plate transitions from laminar to turbulent. This is an important parameter because it affects the drag and lift forces acting on the plate, and can impact the overall performance and stability of the plate in the external flow.

How does the Reynolds Number of a circular plate perpendicular to external flow change with different parameters?

The Reynolds Number is directly proportional to the velocity of the external flow and the diameter of the circular plate, and inversely proportional to the fluid viscosity. This means that as any of these parameters change, the Reynolds Number will also change. Additionally, the Reynolds Number can vary depending on the type of fluid and the surface roughness of the plate.