1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reynolds Number of a circular plate perpendicular to external flow

1. May 7, 2009 #1
    Hello, I am trying to obtain how to find the Reynolds Number of a circular plate perpendicular to external flow. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2009 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

4. May 9, 2009 #3

rcgldr

Homework Helper

The problem is what is the "length" of a flat perpendicular plate?

5. May 9, 2009 #4
    The diameter of the cylinder is 3 inches. The length of the tube is approximately 3 feet. The set of equations that I am using say that there is an equation for a flat plate in a external perpendicular flow. I have found equations for flat plates with the external flow parallel to the plate's length as represented in the wiki-site and different school notes. However, I have yet to obtain an equation for a flat plate with a flow perpendicular to the diameter.
    The problem is diagrammed below... (This flow is not a pipe. Completely filled volume)
    Flow:
    --> ______________ __
    --> /\ ....................\ |
    --> | |.................... | Diameter
    --> \/_____________/ _|_
    -->
    .......|-----Length----|

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook