Reynolds Number of a circular plate perpendicular to external flow

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 6K views
bmv19
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hello, I am trying to obtain how to find the Reynolds Number of a circular plate perpendicular to external flow. Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The problem is what is the "length" of a flat perpendicular plate?
 
The diameter of the cylinder is 3 inches. The length of the tube is approximately 3 feet. The set of equations that I am using say that there is an equation for a flat plate in a external perpendicular flow. I have found equations for flat plates with the external flow parallel to the plate's length as represented in the wiki-site and different school notes. However, I have yet to obtain an equation for a flat plate with a flow perpendicular to the diameter.
The problem is diagrammed below... (This flow is not a pipe. Completely filled volume)
Flow:
--> ______________ __
--> /\ ......\ |
--> | |...... | Diameter
--> \/_____________/ _|_
-->
...|-----Length----|