RFID rectifier Tag - Issues regarding PCE

In summary, the speaker is discussing their experience designing an RFID rectifier, referencing an IEEE paper and using 180nm technology. They expected results between the 130nm and 350nm technologies, but were surprised to find undesirable results. They explain that they used widths from the reference paper, but only achieved an efficiency of less than 8% for an input voltage range of 500mV to 700mV. They also tried a multi-stage rectifier, but efficiency remained low. They mention varying the load and input voltage, and express shock at seeing an increase in input current for a 2-stage rectifier. They ask for advice on improving power conversion efficiency and mention having access to an IC fab facility.
shaikss
Hi,

I am designing a RFID rectifier. I am referring a IEEE paper for this purpose.
The paper has shown results for both 130nm and 350nm technologies. I have chosen 180nm technology.
So, I expected results in between the above technologies. To my surprise, the results are weird - undesirable.

Let me explain you the stuff:

I have used the Widths as mentioned in the reference paper. The rectifier rectifies the input ac voltage from 350mV with an efficiency of 50%. So, I expected that I will be achieving atleast 20-30% of efficiency for 500mV to 700mV of input voltage. To my great surprise, I achieved efficiency less than 8%. I tried to use multi stage of rectifier; even then efficiency is less.

The current at the load is around 4uA. I varied the load from 10k to 100K. When load is 100k, current is 4uA. I varied the input voltage from 100mV to 1V (Peak values). The input current is increasing as the voltage is increasing. That is true. But I expected that the current at the input is same, when I go for 2-stage rectifier. I was shocked to see an increase in the ac current at the input end for 2-stage rectifier.

What should I do in order to increase the efficiency? DC load current is always around 4uA. I am able to see the voltage conversion efficiency. But I couldn't achieve power conversion efficiency. What should I do in order to improve PCE for the attached circuit?

Attached is the circuit of 2-stage rectifier figure as well as the reference IEEE paper.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 364
  • high_eff_cmos_rec_low_pwr_RFID_Tags.pdf
    464.5 KB · Views: 288
Engineering news on Phys.org
So you have an IC fab facility available where you have fabricated this prototype? Can you post your IC design files for us to check over? Thanks.

1. What is an RFID rectifier tag?

An RFID rectifier tag is a type of RFID (Radio Frequency Identification) tag that is used to receive and transmit data wirelessly. It has a rectifier circuit that allows it to harvest energy from the RFID reader and use it to power itself.

2. How does an RFID rectifier tag work?

When an RFID reader emits a radio frequency signal, the RFID rectifier tag's antenna receives it and converts it into electrical energy. The rectifier circuit then converts this energy into a direct current (DC) signal, which powers the tag's microchip. The tag then uses this energy to transmit its stored data back to the RFID reader.

3. What are some common issues with PCE in RFID rectifier tags?

PCE (Power Conversion Efficiency) is a measure of how well the rectifier circuit converts the received RF energy into DC energy. Some common issues with PCE in RFID rectifier tags include low PCE, which can result in a weak signal and difficulty in powering the tag, and variations in PCE due to external factors such as distance, orientation, and interference.

4. How can PCE issues be addressed in RFID rectifier tags?

PCE issues can be addressed by using high-quality components in the rectifier circuit, optimizing the design of the tag's antenna, and minimizing external factors that can affect PCE. Regular testing and calibration can also help to identify and address any PCE issues in RFID rectifier tags.

5. Are there any limitations to using RFID rectifier tags?

Some potential limitations of using RFID rectifier tags include limited read range compared to other types of RFID tags, susceptibility to interference, and the need for a compatible RFID reader. Additionally, the cost of implementing RFID technology and concerns about privacy and security may also be considered limitations of using RFID rectifier tags.