Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Riemann sum of derivative (something like that)

1. Jul 15, 2006 #1

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi, maybe someone can help. When I think about it, I'm pretty sure that the following is true: Let c be a curve parametrized by [itex]t\in [a,b][/itex], let [itex]\sigma = \{t_0,...,t_N\}[/itex] be a partition of [a,b] and [itex]\delta_{\sigma}=\max_{0\leq k \leq N-1}(t_{k+1}-t_k)[/itex]. Also define [itex]\Delta t_k=t_{k+1}-t_k[/itex] Then,

[tex]\lim_{\delta_{\sigma}\rightarrow 0}\sum_{k=0}^{N-1}\frac{|c(t_k+\Delta t_k)-c(t_k)|}{\Delta t_k}\Delta t_k=\int_a^b |\frac{dc}{dt}(t)|dt[/tex]

Proving this would also amount to proving

[tex]\lim_{\delta_{\sigma}\rightarrow 0}\sum_{k=0}^{N-1}\frac{|c(t_k+\Delta t_k)-c(t_k)|}{\Delta t_k}\Delta t_k=\lim_{\delta_{\sigma}\rightarrow 0}\sum_{k=0}^{N-1} |\frac{dc}{dt}(t_k)|\Delta t_k[/tex]

Is there a way to do this using a finite succession of arguments?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2006 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If it can be done directly, it looks like a differential approximation should be the obvious thing to do! Remember that for any differentiable f, there is a remainder r such that:

[tex]
    f(x + k) = f(x) + k f'(x) + k r(x, k)
    [/tex]

and, for each x,

[tex]
    \lim_{k \rightarrow 0} r(x, k) = 0
    [/tex]

Of course, what you want to prove is trivial over any interval where c is monotonic.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2006
  4. Jul 15, 2006 #3

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi Hurkyl,

If I make that substitution in the riemann integral, I get

[tex]\lim_{max(k_i)\rightarrow 0} \sum_i^N \frac{f(x_i+k_i)-f(x_i)}{k_1}k_i = \int_a^b f'(x)dx + \lim_{max(k_i)\rightarrow 0} \sum_i^N r(x_i,k_i)k_i[/tex]

So the problem is essentially the same: In my OP, I knew that the differential ratio was going to the derivative as [itex]\delta_{\sigma} \rightarrow 0[/itex] so the limit of the riemann sum should be [itex]\int_a^b |\frac{dc}{dt}(t)|dt[/itex], but did not know how to prove it. Now I know that as max(k)-->0, r(x,k)-->0, so the limit of the riemann sum should be [itex]\int_a^b 0dx[/itex], but still don't know how to prove it. :grumpy:

5. Jul 15, 2006 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you take off the absolute value signs, then it's very easy. Your sum is a telescoping series, and your integral is easily integrated.

If you don't want to use that... do you know about uniform convergence?

Anyways... *bonks self* forget about differential approximation. This is a job for the mean value theorem!

6. Jul 15, 2006 #5

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hurray for Hurkyl and the mean value theorem! :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?