What Is the Value of the Infinite Sum \(3 \sum_{k=1}^\infty \frac{1}{2k^2-k}\)?

In summary, the problem is that the person did not factor in the counting width when they tried to sum the series. They were trying to sum over even t, but the series only sum over integers between 1 and 2t. They needed to factor in the counting width and express the series in terms of the harmonic function and the even and odd reciprocals.
Rectifier
Gold Member
The problem
I'd like to calculate the value of this sum:
$$3 \sum^\infty_{k=1}\frac{1}{2k^2-k}$$The attempt
## 3 \sum^\infty_{k=1}\frac{1}{2k^2-k} = [k=t/2] = 3 \sum^\infty_{t=2}\frac{1}{2 \left( \frac{t}{2} \right)^2-\frac{t}{2}} = 3 \sum^\infty_{t=2}\frac{1}{ \frac{t^2}{2} - \frac{t}{2}} = 3 \sum^\infty_{t=2}\frac{2}{t^2-t} = \\ = 6 \sum^\infty_{t=2} \frac{1}{t(t-1)} = [partial \ factoring] = 6 \sum^\infty_{t=2} \frac{1}{t-1} - \frac{1}{t} = \\ = \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} 6 \sum^n_{t=2}\frac{1}{t-1} - \frac{1}{t} =\\ = \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} 6 \sum^n_{t=2} \left( \frac{1}{2-1}-\frac{1}{2} \right) + \left( \frac{1}{3-1}-\frac{1}{3} \right) + ... + \left( \frac{1}{(n-1)-1}-\frac{1}{n-1} \right) + \left( \frac{1}{n-1}-\frac{1}{n} \right) = \\ = \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} 6 \sum^n_{t=2} \left( \frac{1}{1}-\frac{1}{2} \right) + \left( \frac{1}{2}-\frac{1}{3} \right) + ... + \left( \frac{1}{n-2}-\frac{1}{n-1} \right) + \left( \frac{1}{n-1}-\frac{1}{n} \right) = \\ = [telescoping \ series] = \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} 6 \sum^n_{t=2} 1 -\frac{1}{n} = 6 ##

But I get the result 6ln(2) from wolfram. Where did I make a mistake?

Physics news on Phys.org
When you put k = t/2 without being careful about the summation set ... since k is an integer you should only sum over even t.

Likes Rectifier
May I ask how I can bypass that error?

## 3 \sum^\infty_{k=1}\frac{1}{2k^2-k} = [k=t/2] = 3 \sum^\infty_{t=2}\frac{1}{2 \left( \frac{t}{2} \right)^2-\frac{t}{2}} ##

Rectifier said:

## 3 \sum^\infty_{k=1}\frac{1}{2k^2-k} = [k=t/2] = 3 \sum^\infty_{t=2}\frac{1}{2 \left( \frac{t}{2} \right)^2-\frac{t}{2}} ##
You confused the counting width here, but you do not need the substitution. The partial factoring works without. Then write down a few terms and you should see what the sum is.

Likes Rectifier
Rectifier said:

Let ##H(N) = \sum_{n=1}^N 1/n## be the Harmonic function; see, eg.,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmonic_series_(mathematics)

Let $$S(N) = \sum_{k=1}^N 1/(2k^2-k).$$
Expand ##1/(2k^2-k)## into partial fractions and note that one of the parts of ##S(N)## involves the sum of the odd reciprocals from ##1## to ##2N-1##, that is ##S_{\text{odd}}##:
$$S_{\text{odd}} =\sum_{k=1}^N 1/(2k-1).$$
This is the sum of all reciprocals from 1 to ##2N##, less the sum of the even reciprocals from 2 to ##2N##; the latter can be expressed in terms of ##H(N)##. Thus, we can express ##S(N)## exactly in terms of ##H(N)## and ##H(2N)##. The limit as ##N \to \infty## is then do-able.

Last edited:

Related to What Is the Value of the Infinite Sum \(3 \sum_{k=1}^\infty \frac{1}{2k^2-k}\)?

What is an infinite sum?

An infinite sum is a mathematical concept that refers to the sum of an infinite number of terms. It is denoted by the symbol ∑ (sigma) and is often used in calculus and other branches of mathematics.

What is the value of an infinite sum?

The value of an infinite sum depends on the specific series and the terms involved. Some infinite sums have a finite value, while others may have no defined value or may diverge to infinity.

How is the value of an infinite sum calculated?

The value of an infinite sum can be calculated using various techniques, such as the method of limits, the ratio test, or the integral test. These methods involve evaluating the terms of the series and determining if the series converges or diverges.

What is the significance of the value of an infinite sum?

The value of an infinite sum has various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It can be used to solve complex problems, make predictions, and understand the behavior of systems.

Can an infinite sum have a negative value?

Yes, an infinite sum can have a negative value. For example, the infinite sum ∑ (-1)^n (where n=1 to infinity) alternates between positive and negative values and converges to -1/2. However, not all infinite sums have a negative value, as it depends on the series and its terms.