1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rifleman's Rule: Best angle for a projectile up a hill [ ]

1. Oct 6, 2007 #1
    Rifleman's Rule: Best angle for a projectile up a hill [urgent]

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A projectile is fired at speed Vo at an elevation angle alpha up a hill of slope beta (alpha>beta). At what angle will the range (L) be maximum?

2. Relevant equations

L=(2Vo^2)/g*(cos(a)/cos(b))*(sin(a)-cos(a)tan(b)) is the distance up the slope that

3. The attempt at a solution

From the above equation we can see that if b=zero, we can maximize the equation by making a=45. If a=b, L=0. The question is, how do we make an equation that maximizes L. I tried integrating and setting the LHS to zero, but that didn't work. I need a relationship between L, b, and a that maximizes.

I'd like no full answers here since it is a homework question, just help as to how to find the relationship.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2007 #2
    Nevermind! The problem is solved. For future reference, you merely take the derivative of the L equation with respect to alpha. Do a few trig identities in order to get one alpha in the equation and solve.
  4. Oct 7, 2007 #3

Gold Member

Can anyone generalize and explain why shooting on a steep up-slope or down-slope might result in an error in elevation? Why might the error be equivalent?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?