Right-continuous function

• Thread starter wayneckm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the possibility of drawing a right-continuous function without a left limit is negative, as any short line drawn with a pen must be continuous. However, there are ways to graphically represent such a function, such as using a "filled circle" and "open circle" convention.
wayneckm
Hello all,

I am just curious about whether it is possible to DRAW a right-continuous function (without left limit). Apparently the answer is negative to me since whenever we use a pen and draw an arbitrarily short line, it must be continuous there.

Wayne

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what you mean by this.

The function y= f(x) where f(x)= 0 for x< 0, f(x)= 1 for [itex]x\ge 0[/itex] is right continuous at x= 0 and is easy to graph. Of course, there will be an ambiguity as to what happens at x= 0 unless you use the standard convention: draw a "filled circle" at the point (0, 1) to indicate that that end of the ray is included in the graph and an "open circle" at the point (0, 0) to indicate that that end of the ray is not included in the graph.

wayneckm said:
Hello all,

I am just curious about whether it is possible to DRAW a right-continuous function (without left limit). Apparently the answer is negative to me since whenever we use a pen and draw an arbitrarily short line, it must be continuous there.

Wayne
not sure what you mean by draw. Maybe f(x) = sin(1/x) for x<0 and f(x) =1 for x>=0

1. What is a right-continuous function?

A right-continuous function is a mathematical function where the value of the function at a given point is equal to the limit of the function as the input approaches that point from the right side. This means that the function has a continuous graph and there are no gaps or jumps in the values.

2. How is a right-continuous function different from a continuous function?

A continuous function is a function where the value of the function at a given point is equal to the limit of the function as the input approaches that point from both the left and right sides. This means that the function has a smooth and unbroken graph. A right-continuous function only requires the limit to exist from the right side, making it less strict than a continuous function.

3. Can a function be both right-continuous and left-continuous?

Yes, a function can be both right-continuous and left-continuous. This means that the limit of the function exists from both the right and left sides at a given point, and the function has a smooth and unbroken graph.

4. What is the importance of right-continuity in mathematics?

Right-continuity is important in mathematics because it allows for the study of functions that have discontinuities at specific points, such as step functions or piecewise functions. It also helps to define the behavior of functions at specific points and can be useful in applications such as economics and finance.

5. Are all right-continuous functions differentiable?

No, not all right-continuous functions are differentiable. A function can be right-continuous without being differentiable, as long as the limit of the function at a given point exists from the right side. Differentiability requires the limit to exist from both the left and right sides, making it a stricter condition than right-continuity.