1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Right triangles

1. Jun 12, 2014 #1
    For example: if it was given that two right triangles are similar triangles and that the hypotenuse of one is twice as long than the other how would you find the area of the triangle with the twice as long hypotenuse given the area of the other?
    Similar right triangles means they are the same corresponding angle? And area of a triangle is 1/2(bxh)
    Would really appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2014 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Similar means the angles are congruent between the two figures, and the corresponding sides are in proportion.

Imagine two similar right triangles and the sides of the bigger one are each k times the sides of the smaller one.

a=(1/2)bh, and A=(1/2)(kb)(kh).
    How do a and A compare?

4. Jun 12, 2014 #3

The base and height would be double due to the ratio right? Therefore the area would be 1/2(2b x2h)

5. Jun 12, 2014 #4

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

For your example, yes. My discussion is general. Your example uses, "twice the lengths" but my generalization uses "k times the lengths".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted