Rigid Body Dynamics: balls colliding

In summary, the conversation discusses the analysis of two colliding balls rolling on a billiard table, with recorded 1D and 2D collisions. The known factors include the masses of the balls, their radius, and the friction between the balls and the table. The conversation also touches on the transfer of energy and momentum during the collisions, as well as the use of spin in billiards. The speaker also mentions using physics on rigid body dynamics, but does not provide any calculations.
AndersLau

Homework Statement

I want to analyse two colliding balls, rolling flat on a billiard table.
I have recorded two collisions from above the table. A 1D collision and a 2D collision.
In both collisions only 1 of the balls are rolling before the collision.

Known is:
mass of the balls: m1=207g, m2=203g
their radius: r=3cm
friction between table and balls: F1=0.47N, F2=0.46N
The velocity of the balls right before and after the collision.
I'm supposed to be using some physics on rigid body dynamics. From the video you can see, that even though the collision is in 1D, the rolling ball keeps rolling after it has hit the other. My 1 question is, does the rolling ball transfer all of its translational energy, and keeps all the rotational itself? Or how does it work?

In which other ways could i analyze these situations?

Thank you.

Attachments

• stribe 5.jpg
    stribe 5.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 411
  • stribe 6.jpg
    stribe 6.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 378
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
AndersLau said:

Homework Statement

I want to analyse two colliding balls, rolling flat on a billiard table.
I have recorded two collisions from above the table. A 1D collision and a 2D collision.
In both collisions only 1 of the balls are rolling before the collision.

Known is:
mass of the balls: m1=207g, m2=203g
their radius: r=3cm
friction between table and balls: F1=0.47N, F2=0.46N
The velocity of the balls right before and after the collision.

I'm supposed to be using some physics on rigid body dynamics. From the video you can see, that even though the collision is in 1D, the rolling ball keeps rolling after it has hit the other. My 1 question is, does the rolling ball transfer all of its translational energy, and keeps all the rotational itself? Or how does it work?

In which other ways could i analyze these situations?

Thank you.

In a normal billiards game the cue ball certainly retains its rotational momentum after collision. In that way the [very] skillful player is able to cause the cue ball to move to just about any position they wish, after striking the other ball.

Even less skilled amateurs can use back spin, top spin and side spin to make the cue ball jag off in a desired direction - including coming back towards the player.
Indeed it takes a fair amount of skill to ensure the cue ball has no spin at all when it strikes the target ball.

okay, thank you.
Do you have any relevant calculations in mind? I find it a little tough.

AndersLau said:
okay, thank you.
Do you have any relevant calculations in mind? I find it a little tough.

Not really - though conservation of momentum says that without a head on collision, the cue ball can't stop completely.

I would like to provide some insights on the topic of rigid body dynamics and the specific scenario of balls colliding on a billiard table.

Firstly, it is important to understand that rigid body dynamics deals with the motion and interactions of objects that maintain their shape and size. In this case, the balls can be considered as rigid bodies since they maintain their shape and size during the collision.

Now, let's address the question about the transfer of energy during the collision. In a perfectly elastic collision, the total kinetic energy of the system (both balls) is conserved. However, in a real-world scenario, there will always be some energy lost due to factors such as friction, deformation of the balls, and air resistance. This means that the total kinetic energy after the collision will be slightly less than the total kinetic energy before the collision.

In terms of the transfer of energy between translational and rotational motion, it depends on the specific conditions of the collision. If the collision is perfectly elastic and the balls have the same mass and radius, then the rolling ball will transfer all of its translational energy to the other ball and keep all of its rotational energy. However, if there is any imbalance in mass or radius, then there will be some transfer of both translational and rotational energy between the balls.

To analyze this situation, you can use the principles of conservation of momentum and conservation of energy to calculate the velocities of the balls before and after the collision. You can also consider the effects of friction and the rotational inertia of the balls in your analysis.

Other ways to analyze this scenario could include using computer simulations or conducting experiments with different conditions (e.g. different masses or radii of the balls) to observe the effects on the collision. Overall, there are various approaches that can be used to analyze rigid body dynamics and collisions, and the most appropriate method will depend on the specific goals and limitations of the study.

1. What is meant by "rigid body dynamics"?

Rigid body dynamics is a branch of mechanics that deals with the movement and interaction of objects that are assumed to be rigid, meaning they do not deform or change shape under external forces.

2. How do you calculate the motion of balls colliding?

The motion of balls colliding can be calculated using the principles of conservation of momentum and conservation of energy. This involves considering the initial velocities and masses of the balls, as well as the coefficients of restitution (a measure of how much energy is lost during the collision).

3. What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions?

In an elastic collision, the total kinetic energy of the system remains constant before and after the collision. In an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is lost and converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound.

4. Can you predict the exact outcome of a collision between two balls?

No, the exact outcome of a collision between two balls cannot be predicted with certainty. This is because small variations in initial conditions or external factors can greatly affect the outcome of the collision.

5. How are the laws of physics applied in rigid body dynamics?

The laws of physics, specifically Newton's laws of motion, are applied in rigid body dynamics to describe and analyze the motion of objects. These laws state that an object will remain at rest or in motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.