Rigid body dynamics (kinematics of a point)

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with finding a velocity using vectors and the kinematics of rigid bodies. There is a discrepancy between the answer given in the book and the answer obtained by the person asking the question. The conversation concludes with a suggestion to use a different method to solve the problem.
xzibition8612

Homework Statement

See attachment "problem"

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

See attachment "work" and "answer"

I got 0.92, but the book gives 1.73. Something went wrong, but I can't find it.

Attachments

• question.jpg
    question.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 475
  • work.jpg
    work.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 500
  • answer.jpg
    answer.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 395
Physics news on Phys.org
hi xzibition8612! :smile:

why have you made xA negative? :confused:

xA is negative because if you look at the attachment "question", I set point C as the origin. Left of C is in the negative direction. Thanks for responding.

I think you have made some sign errors. Check your quadratic equation, I don't think q is correct.

You made Xa positive the first time you used the law of cosines. Move the axis to A and see if you get a better result.

My error, after deciding to do the math, your length of q is 13.9 m but I agree with tiny-tim, I think Xa= 10 m. The curious thing is that dKb/dt is -1.73. Right magnitude, wrong direction

goddamn this problem is driving me insane, i set origin at A and the answer turns out to be negative.

I think the negative sign means that point B is decelerating. It is does not mean that Vb is pointing toward c.

There is another way to do this problem just using vectors and the kinematics of rigid bodies. The plane motion of the rigid bar can replaced by a translation defined by the motion of an arbitrary reference point and by a rotation about that point.

The vector equation is VB= VB/A + VA

You know the magnitude and direction of VA, the direction of VB. VB/A is the vector perpendicular to the rigid bar at Pt. B causing the rigid bar to rotate CCW. You can determine the angle of VB/A from the horizontal by geometry. Through vector addition you can determine the magnitude of VB. You will see that it's magnitude is 1.73 m/s away from B. So forget the negative sign, it is not a direction sign.

alright man thanks a lot

What is a rigid body?

A rigid body is an object in physics that maintains its shape and size under the influence of external forces. This means that the distance between any two points on the object remains constant, and the object does not deform or bend in any way.

What is the difference between kinematics and dynamics?

Kinematics is the study of motion without considering the forces that cause the motion, while dynamics is the study of motion taking into account the forces that cause it. In rigid body dynamics, both kinematics and dynamics are used to analyze the motion of a point on a rigid body.

What is the kinematics of a point?

Kinematics of a point refers to the study of the position, velocity, and acceleration of a point on a rigid body as it moves through space. This includes the analysis of the point's linear and angular motion.

How is the motion of a point on a rigid body described?

The motion of a point on a rigid body can be described using a set of coordinates, such as Cartesian coordinates or polar coordinates. These coordinates can be used to determine the position, velocity, and acceleration of the point at any given time.

What are some real-world applications of rigid body dynamics?

Rigid body dynamics has many practical applications, such as analyzing the motion of vehicles, robots, and machinery. It is also used in the design and construction of structures, such as bridges and buildings, to ensure their stability and structural integrity.