Rigid Body Motion - cylinder on a plane

In summary, the problem involves finding the speed of a cylinder rotating around an instantaneous axis of rotation. The center of mass can be described as a rotation around this axis, simplifying the problem. The velocity of the cylinder can be calculated using the equation V = \dot{\phi}\sqrt{a^2+R^2-2aRcos\phi}. However, this solution does not incorporate the moment of inertia, which was mentioned in the problem statement.
Salviati

Homework Statement

280qk4l.jpg

Pretty picture:
j5f3ic.jpg

I am currently stuck on #1.

Homework Equations

Not exactly sure but...
For #1, I assume the relevant equations are those relating the (i) gravitational force to momentum and (ii)torque due to gravity to angular momentum:

(i) F = dP/dt
(ii) K = dM/dt, where K = r x F

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to begin. I figured maybe if I find r of the center of mass, take the absolute value of the derivative with respect to time then I'll know the speed...but where do I place the coordinate system then? Or I thought, if I use the equations listed above to find the momentum and angular momentum, I could do something with those to find the speed. I just don't know, quite confused right now.

Last edited:
Likes AntoineCompagnie
Physics news on Phys.org
Oookay, here's a more serious attempt at an answer:

The instantaneous axis of rotation for this problem is the axis where the cylinder is in contact with the plane. So, the motion of the cylinder can be described as a rotation around this axis (not sure how to imagine this, but ok). This simplifies the problem because the distance of the center of mass from this axis is:
[tex]\sqrt{a^2+R^2-2aRcos\phi}[/tex], where [tex]\phi[/tex] is the angle between the perpendicular from the instantaneous axis of rotation and the center of mass. Therefore, the velocity of the cylinder is:
[tex]V = \dot{\phi}[/tex][tex]\sqrt{a^2+R^2-2aRcos\phi}[/tex].

The immediate problem that I see with this answer is that it doesn't incorporate the moment of inertia, I, like it says it should in the question.

Salviati said:
Oookay, here's a more serious attempt at an answer:

The instantaneous axis of rotation for this problem is the axis where the cylinder is in contact with the plane. So, the motion of the cylinder can be described as a rotation around this axis (not sure how to imagine this, but ok). This simplifies the problem because the distance of the center of mass from this axis is:
[tex]\sqrt{a^2+R^2-2aRcos\phi}[/tex], where [tex]\phi[/tex] is the angle between the perpendicular from the instantaneous axis of rotation and the center of mass. Therefore, the velocity of the cylinder is:
[tex]V = \dot{\phi}[/tex][tex]\sqrt{a^2+R^2-2aRcos\phi}[/tex].

The immediate problem that I see with this answer is that it doesn't incorporate the moment of inertia, I, like it says it should in the question.
Your answer looks fine. Just make sure it gives you sensible results for easy-to-check cases. I'm not sure why the problem mentioned I since it's not a geometrical parameter.

1. What is rigid body motion?

Rigid body motion refers to the movement of an object without any deformation or change in shape. In other words, the distance between all points on the object remains constant during the motion.

2. How is a cylinder on a plane classified in terms of rigid body motion?

A cylinder on a plane is an example of a two-dimensional rigid body motion, as it moves in two dimensions (along the length of the cylinder and on the plane).

3. What type of forces affect the motion of a cylinder on a plane?

The motion of a cylinder on a plane can be affected by several forces, including gravity, friction, and normal forces.

4. How is the motion of a cylinder on a plane described mathematically?

The motion of a cylinder on a plane can be described using equations from classical mechanics, such as Newton's laws of motion and the conservation of energy and momentum.

5. What are some real-world applications of rigid body motion of a cylinder on a plane?

Rigid body motion of a cylinder on a plane is commonly seen in everyday objects, such as rolling wheels on a car or a rolling coin on a table. It is also important in fields such as engineering, robotics, and physics, where the motion of objects must be accurately described and predicted.