1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rigid Body Rotation Application

1. Nov 26, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm trying to include rigid body rotation in a problem I'm working on but can't seem to figure it out.

Two shafts oriented vertically are connected by a thin cross member of length [itex]R[/itex]. Holding one shaft stationary and applying a constant tangential load [itex]F[/itex] to the other shaft will cause rotation at some speed [itex]\omega[/itex]. Given the mass [itex]m[/itex] and moment of inertia [itex]I_z[/itex]. Is it possible to calculate the angular velocity?

2. Relevant equations
    Not sure what we need, but I believe it's going to involve energy.
    [itex]K_{rot}=\frac{1}{2}I_z\omega^2[/itex]
    Other than that I'm not sure.

3. The attempt at a solution
    No idea. I've been thinking about the problem for the past couple days but can't figure out how to determine the angular velocity given only these variables. If needed I may be able to supply other variables (this is a overly simplified example to give you an idea of the problem).

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2011 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I have no idea about this problem without a picture...

ehild

4. Nov 27, 2011 #3
  5. Nov 27, 2011 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Applying that constant tangential force F means constant torque (τ=R*F) with respect to the fixed axis and constant angular acceleration: β=τ/I, where I is the moment of inertia, again with respect to he fixed axis. The angular velocity will change with time.

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook