1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rigorous proof of limits of sequences (3)

1. Jan 8, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    ra1.JPG

But I think the definition is as follows:
    Let an be a sequence of real numbers. Then an->a iff
    for ALL ε>0, there exists an integer N such that n≥N => |an - a|< ε.

The definition says that it has to be true for ALL ε>0, but in the example above, they just let ε to be a rational number with a very specific form. To me, the proof looks incomplete. They only proved the statement for the case of ε being rational number with that very specific form, but how about the case when we're given an irrational ε, or other rational ε that cannot be expressed in that specific form?
    Is the proof correct or not?

2. Relevant equations
    N/A

3. The attempt at a solution
    Shown above.

Can someone explain this? Thanks for any help! :)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2010 #2
    Well I'm assuming k is a real number, in which case there is nothing wrong with the proof (verify this on your own). However, there is a much simpler estimate that could have been made, namely

[tex]\frac{1}{n+1} \leq \frac{1}{N+1} < \varepsilon[/tex]

provided that [itex]N > \frac{1}{\varepsilon}-1.[/itex]

Out of curiosity, which text are you learning from?

4. Jan 8, 2010 #3
    I looked at my book again and the context before the example highly suggests that k is a natural number (or 0). It says "it suffices to consider only values for ε of the form (1/2)10-k...agree with L to at least k decimals of accuracy."

If this is the case, is the proof still correct? If so, why?

(I understand your much simpler proof, but I just want to know whether "the proof provided above" is complete or not.)

The book from which this example is taken is Real Analysis by Donsig.

5. Jan 8, 2010 #4
    Ah OK, well the author is choosing not to consider all real epsilon, which is weird. I would say it doesn't matter much since if we let epsilon -> 0 we can still make our sequence arbitrarily close to 1. Anyways it seems simpler to consider all real values of epsilon (> 0) and replace [itex]\frac{1}{2}10^{-k} = \varepsilon[/itex] with [itex]\frac{1}{2}10^{-k} < \varepsilon.[/itex]

6. Jan 9, 2010 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Given any [itex]\epsilon> 0[/itex], there exist k such that [itex](1/2)10^{-k}< \epsilon[/itex]. Then if [itex]|a_n- L|< (1/2)10^{-k}[/itex], it is less than [itex]\epsilon[/itex] so this is sufficient.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook