Ring in the New Year at PF's Party!
- Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
- Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
82 replies · 13K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Tsu
Gold Member
- 462
- 62
Evo said:True, I have no life, well I have a stalker that sends me orchids and food gift baskets.
Well, now, hmmm... THAT sounds kind of like a...'life'.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 11,959
- 54
Tsu said:Well, now, hmmm... THAT sounds kind of like a...'life'.Albeit a rather strange one, but a 'life' (I guess
) nonetheless. And HEY! at least your stalker has a little bit of class and sends orchids and food instead of funeral arrangements.
![]()
I'm shivering at the idea of a street party in MI for New Year's Eve, Hypatia! You Michiganders are nuts! And I mean that in the most loving way.
turbo
Gold Member
- 3,181
- 57
Everyone has to dress up in so much goose-down that it looks like a Michelin-man convention, so that cuts the sexual tension. Then it becomes a matter of who has the best beer-marinated grilled brats, and tucked-away flasks of "the good stuff".Moonbear said:I'm shivering at the idea of a street party in MI for New Year's Eve, Hypatia! You Michiganders are nuts! And I mean that in the most loving way.![]()
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,458
- 3,266
Outstanding.Evo said:...I finally got my new computer fixed yesterday, and if I don't fall asleep I will be there.
What timne are we opening?
It's snowing again dl, I've been snow plowed in and can't get out.
I think the full moon will keep you awake till midnight.I'm trying to remember what time I logged in last year. There were people already there. Probably those who had already seen the midnight hour and still celebrating. I do remember it being a fun time.
I was snowed in for four days after Christmas so I'm kind of use to it now.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
Evo child's boyfriend dug my car out tonight. They went everywhere looking for a snow shovel, but everyone was sold out, so the poor guy bought a garden shovel and dug me out with that tiny thing, I was wondering why it was taking him so long.dlgoff said:Outstanding.I think the full moon will keep you awake till midnight.
I'm trying to remember what time I logged in last year. There were people already there. Probably those who had already seen the midnight hour and still celebrating. I do remember it being a fun time.
I was snowed in for four days after Christmas so I'm kind of use to it now.
That guy is a keeper.
turbo
Gold Member
- 3,181
- 57
He doesn't own a snow shovel and he is a keeper? Wow.Evo said:Evo child's boyfriend dug my car out tonight. They went everywhere looking for a snow shovel, but everyone was sold out, so the poor guy bought a garden shovel and dug me out with that tiny thing, I was wondering why it was taking him so long.
That guy is a keeper.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
He lives in an apartment that clears the snow, so why would he need a snow shovel?turbo-1 said:He doesn't own a snow shovel and he is a keeper? Wow.
My problem is that it snowed for 4 days and I didn't move my car for that entire time and my car is a sports car that is VERY low to the ground.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 11,959
- 54
Evo said:He lives in an apartment that clears the snow, so why would he need a snow shovel?
None of you own a snow shovel? And, digging your car out of snow is exactly why everyone should have a snow shovel. I have a nice big one for the driveway, and a smaller one that fits in the trunk of my car for digging myself out of places like parking lots if I get plowed in. Even when I lived in dorms and apartments, I had a snow shovel, because the plows ALWAYS plow the cars into the lots.
turbo
Gold Member
- 3,181
- 57
In the Evo-world, nobody owns a decent set of jumper-cables or a nice universal lug-wrench, either. Here, you would be looked at as a doofus if you didn't have some of these basic tools in your vehicle. I stopped a couple of days ago and helped a lady dig her truck out of a ditch so she could get back to the firehouse (she usually drives the ambulance). She had 2 different shovels in her truck and I had another in my Subaru Forester. Lack of preparation=ignorance.Moonbear said:None of you own a snow shovel? And, digging your car out of snow is exactly why everyone should have a snow shovel. I have a nice big one for the driveway, and a smaller one that fits in the trunk of my car for digging myself out of places like parking lots if I get plowed in. Even when I lived in dorms and apartments, I had a snow shovel, because the plows ALWAYS plow the cars into the lots.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
I have jumper cables in my trunk.turbo-1 said:In the Evo-world, nobody owns a decent set of jumper-cables or a nice universal lug-wrench, either. Here, you would be looked at as a doofus if you didn't have some of these basic tools in your vehicle. I stopped a couple of days ago and helped a lady dig her truck out of a ditch so she could get back to the firehouse (she usually drives the ambulance). She had 2 different shovels in her truck and I had another in my Subaru Forester. Lack of preparation=ignorance.
No, when you have a snow removal service at an apartment, you don't need a snow shovel, we don't get that much snow. This was a freak incident of 4 days of snow. As dl said, he was stuck for 4 days. If I had been moving my car in and out of my parking space, it would have been cleared, like everyone else's space was. I was the only one that never moved their car.
I also have a roadside assistance plan. Recently I had a flat tire and the guy was there in less than 15 minutes to replace the tire. What I'm not good at, I make sure I have someone on call 24 hours that can do it for me. A lug wrench does me no good if I can't use it. I'd be a doofus to think I could do it myself.
GeorginaS
- 236
- 1
We need to get back to the party plans! Anyone bringing champagne? How late is the party going? Had I known PF was having a shindig, I wouldn't have spent a whole bunch of money on tickets to an event. Now, okay, event tickets in hand, if y'all are still around when I get home, I'll bring an extra bottle of bubbly and a bag of Doritos. Nothing is too good for the people here at PF. 
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
Not the blue cheese doritos, I spent an entire night upchucking those. I walk a bit faster down the chip aisle now.GeorginaS said:We need to get back to the party plans! Anyone bringing champagne? How late is the party going? Had I known PF was having a shindig, I wouldn't have spent a whole bunch of money on tickets to an event. Now, okay, event tickets in hand, if y'all are still around when I get home, I'll bring an extra bottle of bubbly and a bag of Doritos. Nothing is too good for the people here at PF.![]()
I think we're going to be open all New Year's eve through New Year's day, so pop in anytime! It would be lovely to have you in chat Georgina.
- 20,002
- 11,119
I'll have chat open late afternoon.
GeorginaS
- 236
- 1
During the day on New Year's Day too? You really know how to throw a party, Greg! I'll bring streamers too.
- 12,179
- 186
My wife and I plan to go out tonight, but I may drop in at some point.
Shall I bring something for everyone to eat, or just bring myself?
Shall I bring something for everyone to eat, or just bring myself?
Andre
- 4,296
- 73
Redbelly98 said:My wife and I plan to go out tonight, but I may drop in at some point.
Shall I bring something for everyone to eat, or just bring myself?![]()
Hmm, maybe the wood of the pecker is hard to digest
- 20,002
- 11,119
I'll be home by 4pm CST to get the party started!
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 11,959
- 54
I'll definitely be around tonight. I ALMOST had some plans, but then saw the weather forecast. Freezing rain and snow starting around 10 PM, with icing of roads predicted. No way I'm going anywhere with ice and drunk drivers in the forecast...bad combination. I feel bad for the EMS and ER workers tonight. Aside from the usual drinking related accidents, they're going to have to deal with the sober drivers crashing on icy roads too. It's supposed to last well into tomorrow morning, so even if I planned to stay at someone else's house for the night, it will still be a mess to get home even tomorrow.
So, I'll be watching for the round-the-world New Year's wishes online instead.
And Happy New Year to those already celebrating.
So, I'll be watching for the round-the-world New Year's wishes online instead.
And Happy New Year to those already celebrating.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 22,712
- 7,804
I just finished cleaning the driveway of a couple of inches of snow. We may have more tonight. We usually stay in New Year's Eve. Tonight we'll do Indian takeout - we got tired of turkey and ham.
Tomorrow we'll probably do some kind of chili, which should go well with black-eyed peas.
Tomorrow we'll probably do some kind of chili, which should go well with black-eyed peas.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
I got my black Eyed peas and collard greens for tomorrow!
Looks like we should have a fun crowd tonight! Glad you're coming over MB.
I'm making spinach and artichoke dip.
Looks like we should have a fun crowd tonight! Glad you're coming over MB.
I'm making spinach and artichoke dip.
turbo
Gold Member
- 3,181
- 57
We're looking at snow for all weekend, and depending on the storm-track, it could turn into a classic nor'easter. It's already snowing steadily.
turbo
Gold Member
- 3,181
- 57
My wife made apple-muffins with walnuts, and a big batch of caramel-corn with peanuts for the neighbor's grand-children. I dropped in on Chat and drizzle was there for a bit. Too quiet now.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
Yay, the snow is going to keep a lot of people in. I guess I'll double my artichoke dip.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
Yes, yes and yes! I want traditional tartar sauce with the fried ones.Moonbear said:I'm making shrimp, but haven't decided yet if I want to batter and deep fry them (I add lots of yummy spices to the batter), just boil them and serve with a cocktail sauce, or do up a scampi. I have the fixin's to do any of those.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 7,643
- 1,602
Astronuc said:Tonight we'll do Indian takeout - we got tired of turkey and ham.
Tonight, we had home-cooked South-Asian eat-in; just finished palak gosht (something like spinach chicken curry) and roti.
Similar threads
Ring in the New Year at PF's NYE Chat Party!
- Greg Bernhardt
- · Replies 24 ·
- Feedback and Announcements
- Replies
- 24
Physics Forums ratings killed every new year
- Pupil
- · Replies 22 ·
- Other Physics Topics
- Replies
- 22
News ROFLMAO happy new year from bill blum
- fourier jr
- · Replies 10 ·
- General Discussion
- Replies
- 10