Ring launcher conceptual question

In summary, when an aluminum ring is placed on a ring launcher and an AC current is applied, the ring flies upward due to the current induced by the emf generated in the ring. This current is in the opposite direction of the ring launcher's field, causing repulsion and resulting in the ring flying off. This does not occur with a split ring because it is not a closed loop, so there is no flux and no emf or current generated. However, it is important to consider how the ring knows in which direction to fly, which is not fully explained in the standard explanation.
Physicsnoob24

Homework Statement

When an aluminum ring is placed on ring launcher so that it surrounds the coil, it flies upward when a AC current is applied to the coil. This does not occur when the intact ring is replaced by a split ring (see below). Explain this in 3 sentences or less. Feel free to use as many diagrams and equations as you need in your explanation. [Warning: The standard explanation of this lacks any mention of an essential feature.]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is my rationalization as to why this occurs:
When the AC-current was turned on, the emf generated in the Aluminum ring led to a current in it, which according to Lenz's Law, has to be in a direction such that its field cancels the one due to the ring launcher: so it is opposite in direction and since opposite currents repel, the ring flies off. When a split ring is used, since it is not a closed loop, there is no flux going through it is 0. Hence, there is no emf or current generated: so it does not fly off.

Did this go beyond the "standard explanation", as my Professor puts it? Or did I miss something "essential?"
I have uploaded a picture of the figure (if it helps at all). I can only receive partial credit if my Professor isn't completely satisfied with the answer so if I'm missing something, I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could help steer me in the right direction. Thank you so much!

Attachments

• PhysicsChallenge2.pdf
    42.9 KB · Views: 151
Physics news on Phys.org
Currents do not repel. There is something else that repels something.
Physicsnoob24 said:
When a split ring is used, since it is not a closed loop, there is no flux going through it is 0.
Going through what?
Physicsnoob24 said:
Hence, there is no emf or current generated
One of them is generated.

I don't know what exactly your prof means, but here is a question you did not answer: how does the ring know in which direction it has to go?

1. What is a ring launcher?

A ring launcher is a type of device used to launch metal rings at high speeds. It typically consists of a coil of wire and a capacitor, which work together to create a strong magnetic field that propels the ring forward.

2. How does a ring launcher work?

The ring launcher works through the principle of electromagnetic induction. When an electric current is passed through a coil of wire, it creates a magnetic field. This magnetic field interacts with the metal ring, inducing a current in the ring and creating a magnetic field of its own. The interaction between the two magnetic fields causes the ring to be propelled forward.

3. What is the purpose of a ring launcher?

A ring launcher is often used for educational demonstrations to illustrate the principles of electromagnetism and energy transfer. It can also be used for entertainment purposes, such as launching metal rings into targets or through hoops.

4. What factors affect the performance of a ring launcher?

The performance of a ring launcher can be affected by various factors, such as the voltage and current used, the size and shape of the coil and capacitor, and the material and size of the ring being launched. The distance between the coil and the ring also plays a role in the launch velocity.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using a ring launcher?

Yes, there are several safety precautions to consider when using a ring launcher. Since it involves high voltages and currents, it is important to handle the device with caution and to follow proper electrical safety protocols. It is also important to wear protective gear, such as gloves and safety glasses, when operating the ring launcher to prevent any potential accidents or injuries.