Understand a Conceptual question on Scattering

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving repulsive scattering and the conversion of kinetic energy to potential energy. The question asks for an expression of the potential energy and the charge of the alpha particle. The student is seeking help with their reasoning for their answer.
claymine
Homework Statement
Hi I am totally lost here, my answer matches with one of the choice but i think my reasoning is total bs please help me
Relevant Equations
# 19
Homework Statement: Hi I am totally lost here, my answer matches with one of the choice but i think my reasoning is total bs please help me
Homework Equations: # 19

1570549606956.png

Attachments

• qascat.jpg
    qascat.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 150
Physics news on Phys.org
For this particular repulsive scattering, at closest approach, the kinetic energy of the alpha particle is zero, and all of the kinetic energy has been converted to potential energy. The alpha particle then returns back from where it came=180 degree scattering. For practical purposes, you can assume elastic scattering=no energy losses in computing the distance of closest approach. ## \\ ## Can you write an expression for the potential energy of the system consisting of the nucleus and the alpha particle? What is the charge of the alpha particle?.

Last edited:
What was your reason behind your choice?

1. What is scattering in physics?

Scattering in physics refers to the process of interaction between particles or waves that results in the deviation from their original path due to collisions, deflections, or reflections.

2. What is the difference between elastic and inelastic scattering?

Elastic scattering is a type of scattering in which the kinetic energy and momentum of the scattered particles are conserved, while inelastic scattering involves a transfer of energy and/or momentum between the scattered particles.

3. How is scattering used in scientific research?

Scattering is used in scientific research to study the properties of particles and materials, such as their size, shape, composition, and interactions with other particles. It is also used to analyze and characterize the structure of materials and to understand various physical phenomena.

4. What are some examples of scattering phenomena?

Some examples of scattering phenomena include Rayleigh scattering (responsible for the blue color of the sky), Compton scattering (used in X-ray imaging), Raman scattering (used in spectroscopy), and Mie scattering (observed in clouds and fog).

5. How is scattering related to the concept of cross-section in physics?

Scattering cross-section is a measure of the probability of a particle undergoing scattering when interacting with other particles or fields. It is related to the scattering angle and is used to describe the strength of the scattering process.