RIP arildno: Gone, but never forgotten

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, arildno was a great contributor to the Physics Forums and will be deeply missed. He was known for his vast knowledge of literature and history, as well as his sensitivity and kindness.
lisab said:
Dreams are strange, true, but fully-awake brains are strange too. As I was reading your dream, this song came into my head:

As I completed writing down my dream, the movie title "What Dreams May Come", popped into my head. I didn't really remember the plot line, so I watched the trailer.
I decided against posting it, as I decided people might get the impression that I was obsessed with Arild, and wanted to stalk him in the afterlife.
I wasn't at all obsessed with Arild. I would call it more, a dumbfounded awe.
I think it may have been the Gaza thread.
I like to imagine, that we battled against the forces of darkness, with no words shared, but an instinctive understanding, that we were, brothers in arms.

As I said previously, not a day goes by, that something doesn't remind me of him.
But as Pat sang to me the other day; "Om, just let him go".
She also told me; "Don't let it Show", but it was already too late.

Joni tried to tell me that also; "...and if you care, don't let them know. Don't give yourself away".

I'm apparently bad at following the rules.

Anyways...

Goodnight, Arild.

I am humbled to have been in your presence.

--------------------------
ps. As I was about to push the "Submit Reply" button, a gust of wind violently blew one of my plastic chairs off the front porch. It reminded me of the movie: "Sixth Sense".
I'm guessing that Arild was pointing out that I'd forgotten a comma...
Ok! I put it in! Good grief...

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's a reference to the What Dreams May Come movie, I think the circumstances here caused you to dream about it in particular:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_Dreams_May_Come_(film [Broken])

Last edited by a moderator:
jedishrfu said:
Here's a reference to the What Dreams May Come movie, I think the circumstances here caused you to dream about it in particular:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_Dreams_May_Come_(film [Broken])

Good grief.
The ending, actually happened, in my family, quite recently.
If one believes in such things.

Thank you, jedishrfu.

Chris proposes reincarnation, so he and Annie can experience life together again. The film ends with Chris and Annie meeting again as young children in a situation that parallels their first meeting.

One day, I will tell the story.

Dear Physics Forums Family,

It has been a week since we said our last farewell to Arild in an overcrowded chapel. Our approach to the ceremony was as honest as it has been the whole time, and we believe we managed to keep it in the spirit that Arild would have wanted. Lots of music, and words from a funeral speaker from the Norwegian Humanist Association and Arild's mother. We thank you for your gift, see images below.

After the ceremony we gathered at a nearby restaurant to share our stories and memories. Arild had many sides, and I think everyone feels that we learned more about him during the day.

Most of all, we think Arild would have been very surprised that so many people had been touched by him, and wanted to say their last farewells. Arild's death has caused more sorrow and despair than he could imagine, and the only positive thing it can bring is this realisation. No matter how alone you feel, there are more people than you would imagine who care about you. Who will respond if you reach out. If we can all keep this knowledge in our hearts and share it with the people we meet, Arild will also live on.

For those of you who want to have a last moment to remember him, here is the music that was used in the funeral:

- Franz Shübert: An die musik:
- (everyone singing) Din tanke er fri (Die gendanken sind frei): - Seeger's version in English:
- Arvo Pärt: My Heart's in the Highlands:
- Antonin Dvorak: Rusalka - Song to the Moon:
- Samuel Barber: Adagio for Strings:
- (everyone singing) Henri Mancini: Moon River:
- (while exiting, and while people were approaching the urn to say their last farewell) Arvo Pärt - Cantus in memoriam Benjamin Britten:

We thank you all for your support during the last few weeks, it has meant more than you can imagine to read and take part in your memories of Arild.

Finally, in the spirit of Arild's news about Norwegian nature we'd like to share this. As we were all going home from the funeral, the heaviest rains in recorded history hit Oslo, with 44.5 mm in an hour at the official measurement site and worse elsewhere (that's about a normal month's worth). Cars were stuck in roads suddenly turned rivers, and there were hailstorms leaving the roads filled with snow at high summer.

http://www.dittoslo.no/nordstrands-blad/nyheter-nordstrands-blad/kraftig-uver-i-oslo-1.8490493

With love,

Gerd, Anders and Andreas.

Attachments

• DSCF0842 - Copy.jpg
    DSCF0842 - Copy.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 549
  • DSCF0849 - Copy.JPG
    DSCF0849 - Copy.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 585
  • Care
Likes Astronuc, EnumaElish and Greg Bernhardt
Thank you. What a beautiful post, yes Arild touched more people in more ways than he ever imagined. He was a truly wonderful person, he is very missed.

My heart goes out to his family and friends.

Thanks for sharing..
RIP again, Arild.

Thank you for sharing this post. And thank you a lot for communicating so well with us. Arild was precious to us and your communication with us has helped us a lot.

I will be playing the entire music collection in your post in his honor.

Reposting here in case the post is missed on the previous page. Pictures of the flowers are in post #144
Arilds family said:
Dear Physics Forums Family,

It has been a week since we said our last farewell to Arild in an overcrowded chapel. Our approach to the ceremony was as honest as it has been the whole time, and we believe we managed to keep it in the spirit that Arild would have wanted. Lots of music, and words from a funeral speaker from the Norwegian Humanist Association and Arild's mother. We thank you for your gift, see images below.

After the ceremony we gathered at a nearby restaurant to share our stories and memories. Arild had many sides, and I think everyone feels that we learned more about him during the day.

Most of all, we think Arild would have been very surprised that so many people had been touched by him, and wanted to say their last farewells. Arild's death has caused more sorrow and despair than he could imagine, and the only positive thing it can bring is this realisation. No matter how alone you feel, there are more people than you would imagine who care about you. Who will respond if you reach out. If we can all keep this knowledge in our hearts and share it with the people we meet, Arild will also live on.

For those of you who want to have a last moment to remember him, here is the music that was used in the funeral:

- Franz Shübert: An die musik:
- (everyone singing) Din tanke er fri (Die gendanken sind frei): - Seeger's version in English:
- Arvo Pärt: My Heart's in the Highlands:
- Antonin Dvorak: Rusalka - Song to the Moon:
- Samuel Barber: Adagio for Strings:
- (everyone singing) Henri Mancini: Moon River:
- (while exiting, and while people were approaching the urn to say their last farewell) Arvo Pärt - Cantus in memoriam Benjamin Britten:

We thank you all for your support during the last few weeks, it has meant more than you can imagine to read and take part in your memories of Arild.

Finally, in the spirit of Arild's news about Norwegian nature we'd like to share this. As we were all going home from the funeral, the heaviest rains in recorded history hit Oslo, with 44.5 mm in an hour at the official measurement site and worse elsewhere (that's about a normal month's worth). Cars were stuck in roads suddenly turned rivers, and there were hailstorms leaving the roads filled with snow at high summer.

http://www.dittoslo.no/nordstrands-blad/nyheter-nordstrands-blad/kraftig-uver-i-oslo-1.8490493

With love,

Gerd, Anders and Andreas.

:cry:

Just a couple of thoughts, as I'm late for a rendezvous with family. (I could write a novel about my thoughts generated over the last 4 weeks.)

Evo said:
Thank you. What a beautiful post, yes Arild touched more people in more ways than he ever imagined. He was a truly wonderful person, he is very missed.

My heart goes out to his family and friends.
Ditto.
Borek said:
"Adagio for Strings" sent me into my 3rd crying fit.

One clarification, of an earlier post I made regarding the song: "Moon and Stars":

It's usually one line that triggers emotions or thoughts in my head. In that case, it was; "And people would ride from far and wide just to seek the word he spread"

I really have to give kudos to Greg, for creating PF, with rules that created a unique environment, without which, I don't think I would have run across someone like Arild. Looking at the Google Earth image of how far apart Arild and I lived

pf.2014.07.02.0934.And.people.would.ride.from.far.and.wide.just.to.seek.the.word.he.spread.jpg

plunked Greenland right smack dab in the middle of us.

Which of course, triggered more brain cells...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRa-SLdoTqI​

Farewell, to Arildno
Farewell, to my comrade, for a while, we must part...

Today we remember arildno, two years after his departure.

"Those that we have loved cannot be lost, because they're always apart of us."

Likes adjacent, Evo, Greg Bernhardt and 2 others
Greg Bernhardt said:
We miss you @arildno RIP
Question for you Greg. The latest posts reminded me of another member that I haven't seen in a while (Danger). When I tried to find him or arildno in the member list, they don't show up anymore?

arildno's profile is linked in Greg's post, and I can also find both via the member search.
@Danger

Arildno, greatly loved and still in our hearts. You are missed.

StevieTNZ said:
"Those that we have loved cannot be lost, because they're always apart of us."

This is one of those instances when the space between "a" and "part" actually makes a difference. It reminds me of an old joke by Steven Wright (remember him?): "Why do they call them apartments when they're so close together?" o0)

RIP Arildno

Likes DennisN, adjacent and OmCheeto
Arilds family said:

Likes Drakkith
RIP, friend. His posts will continue to enlighten, and I believe he continues to live in those lives he has affected.

<h2>1. Who was Arildno?</h2><p>Arildno was a prominent member of the online science community who passed away in 2019. He was known for his sharp intellect, insightful contributions, and friendly demeanor.</p><h2>2. How did Arildno contribute to the scientific community?</h2><p>Arildno was an active member of various online forums and discussions, where he shared his knowledge and expertise in various scientific fields. He also published several papers and articles on his research.</p><h2>3. What was Arildno's area of expertise?</h2><p>Arildno's expertise spanned across multiple fields, including physics, mathematics, and computer science. He was particularly known for his contributions in theoretical physics and cosmology.</p><h2>4. How did Arildno's passing impact the scientific community?</h2><p>Arildno's passing was deeply felt by the scientific community, as he was a highly respected and valued member. Many colleagues and peers expressed their condolences and shared their memories of him.</p><h2>5. How is Arildno's legacy being honored?</h2><p>Arildno's legacy continues to live on through his contributions and impact on the scientific community. Many have dedicated their work to him and his memory, and his insights and ideas continue to inspire others in their research.</p>

1. Who was Arildno?

Arildno was a prominent member of the online science community who passed away in 2019. He was known for his sharp intellect, insightful contributions, and friendly demeanor.

2. How did Arildno contribute to the scientific community?

Arildno was an active member of various online forums and discussions, where he shared his knowledge and expertise in various scientific fields. He also published several papers and articles on his research.

3. What was Arildno's area of expertise?

Arildno's expertise spanned across multiple fields, including physics, mathematics, and computer science. He was particularly known for his contributions in theoretical physics and cosmology.

4. How did Arildno's passing impact the scientific community?

Arildno's passing was deeply felt by the scientific community, as he was a highly respected and valued member. Many colleagues and peers expressed their condolences and shared their memories of him.

5. How is Arildno's legacy being honored?

Arildno's legacy continues to live on through his contributions and impact on the scientific community. Many have dedicated their work to him and his memory, and his insights and ideas continue to inspire others in their research.