Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

RIP arildno: Gone, but never forgotten

1. May 24, 2014 #1
    The PF community is in grieving. It is with a profoundly heavy heart that I announce today we say goodbye to arildno. He was a friend of more than 10 years. Today we remember a great mind and person. Today we remember the great impact arildno had on the community and countless visitors.

arildno was special and it can not be understated how many people he helped. It's truly a gift to humanity. arildno was one of our first Science Advisors.

His first post at PF:
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=19860

His last post at PF:
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=754060

In between are 10 years of incredible memories of service and friendship.

I ask that every member/visitor who had any contact with arildno to take a few minutes to remember a positive memory. It won't be difficult.

arildno goes on to be immortalized in PF family legend. His efforts here will be long-lasting and long rewarding to those who were touched by him.

Please feel free to share your thoughts and favorite moments about arildno below. We would like to share this with his family so that they can appreciate just how important he was to us all.

A black ribbon has been added to the PF logo. It will remain there for 30 days for us to remember.

Edit: For those who missed it, please read Evo's post of the message from Arildno's family.

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2014 #2

adjacent

Gold Member

He was one of the greatest member I met here. I learned a lot from his posts and I feel really sad to hear about this. To pay respect to him, my avatar will be decolourised for sometime.
    I can't really believe this has actually happened.

4. May 24, 2014 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Arildno was a fascinating man, his knowledge of literature and history never ceased to amaze me. I learned so much from him and had so much fun speaking with him. He was my "Norweed" and my life is so much richer from knowing him.

My condolences to his family. Arildno, I miss you and will never forget you.

5. May 24, 2014 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

It pains me a great deal that he didn't get to read this thread and all the other posts that now appear about him. He was greatly loved here by many people - including me. I hope that he knew he was loved so much.

I don't know what happens in the afterlife. But I hope that his pain and suffering is over now. He didn't deserve it. Sadly enough, it are often the great people who experience the most pain.

6. May 24, 2014 #5
    This is so sad and so shocking. I still remember him helping me with my fluid mechanics homework, and giving sound advice. He seemed such a generous and kind man.

My condolences to his family.

7. May 24, 2014 #6

Borek

I just can't believe we will never again joke about stolen stavkirke and how ridiculously expensive Norway is. On top of things everyone wrote about him so far, he was just a good guy to spend time with on the forum.

You will be seriously missed [']['][']

8. May 24, 2014 #7

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Wow, I'm so sad to hear that. He was a great inspiration to us all.

9. May 24, 2014 #8

jedishrfu

It makes me sad to hear of his passing. I hope his family will be comforted his impact on so many students who use PF for help. We will all miss him and his insight.

10. May 24, 2014 #9

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is really a shock, he was so happy with reaching 12000 posts. A round number. His name with never be forgotten, his intellect will continue to live in all the people he has helped. My condolences for this big loss.

11. May 24, 2014 #10

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It troubles me to think of Arild in such pain – he was so adored here. My heart goes out to his family.

He was always so tender with his help in the Relationships forum, whether it was someone broken-hearted or someone with a huge crush. He was always sensitive and kind.

I’ll miss his often goofy posts about the trials and tribulations of moose :frown:.

12. May 24, 2014 #11
    This is a very sad day. My deepest condolences for the loss of such a special person. I hope that he found the peace he sought.

RIP arildno, you are immortalized in the memories of those you touched and the knowledge which you shared with the world.

13. May 24, 2014 #12

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

His dedication to THIS forum tells you what a good man he was.

14. May 24, 2014 #13

reenmachine

Gold Member

My condolences to arildno's family and friends.

15. May 24, 2014 #14

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

If there are people interested in changing their avatar, they can use my all black one:

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/64/91215365.png

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/64/91215365.png

I'm going to leave mine up until the funeral as respect to this kind and great person.

Or if anybody doesn't know how to darken his avatar, I can do this for you as well. Just ask.

Last edited: May 24, 2014
  16. May 24, 2014 #15
    Didn't know the guy or ever interact with him but anyone who willing spends his or her spare time by helping students for free is a great person. This man did it for 10 years, what a titan.

Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. RIP.

17. May 24, 2014 #16

atyy

Science Advisor

I don't know if it is true that arildno is truly gone for the moment. Because I know both arildno's posts and Greg's, it seems unlikely that this awful news is a joke. But I don't understand how the conclusion was reached without a body. If it is true, my deepest sympathies to his family. arildno, wherever you are, godspeed.

18. May 24, 2014 #17

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sorry to hear about arildno's passing although I admit I hadn't had that much contact with him. But this thread makes me wonder, given the general anonymity in these forums, how would anyone know he was ailing, in pain, or anything else about him? If I suddenly kicked the bucket I don't think anyone in my family would have the slightest inclination to or clue how to post a notice to PF. I have wondered this before when I see someone post that Greg is in Japan or someone is on their honeymoon. Most users on PF, following suggestions in the Privacy Policy, don't use their real names anyway. So, to paraphrase an old thermos bottle joke, how would we know?

19. May 24, 2014 #18

Evo

I guess many did not see the post earlier today from arildno's family. It has been verified.

20. May 24, 2014 #19
    This was truly terrible news :frown:. My condolences to arildno's family and friends.

21. May 24, 2014 #20
    This is very very sad to know. I don't have words to express how terrible it feels to read this. Arildno was a great guy. :frown:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted