RIP Cormac McCarthy - Celebrating the Legacy of America's Great Novelist

• Thread starter BWV
  • Start date
In summary, Cormac McCarthy's novel Blood Meridian is considered to be one of the greatest American novels, and is often compared to the works of Melville and Faulkner. It is seen as a powerful and memorable book, and is considered to be the ultimate Western novel.
BWV
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2023/jun/13/cormac-mccarthy-dead-novelist

His Blood Meridian regularly makes lists of greatest american novels

https://lithub.com/harold-bloom-on-cormac-mccarthy-true-heir-to-melville-and-faulkner/

Cormac McCarthy’s Blood Meridian (1985) seems to me the authentic American apocalyptic novel, more relevant now than when it was written. The fulfilled renown of Moby-Dick and of As I Lay Dying is augmented by Blood Meridian, since Cormac McCarthy is the worthy disciple both of Melville and of Faulkner. I venture that no other living American novelist, not even Pynchon, has given us a book as strong and memorable as Blood Meridian, much as I appreciate his Crying of Lot 49, Gravity’s Rainbow, and Mason & Dixon. McCarthy himself has not matched Blood Meridian, but it is the ultimate Western, not to be surpassed.

• Sad
Likes PeroK and phinds

1. Who is Cormac McCarthy?

Cormac McCarthy was an American novelist, playwright, and screenwriter. He was born in Rhode Island in 1933 and is best known for his works in the Southern Gothic, Western, and post-apocalyptic genres.

2. What are some of Cormac McCarthy's most famous works?

Some of Cormac McCarthy's most famous works include "Blood Meridian," "No Country for Old Men," "The Road," and "All the Pretty Horses." He has also written plays and screenplays, such as "The Sunset Limited" and "The Counselor."

3. When did Cormac McCarthy pass away?

Cormac McCarthy passed away on July 20, 2021, at the age of 88. His death was announced by his publisher, Alfred A. Knopf, who stated that he died of "complications of old age."

4. What is the legacy of Cormac McCarthy?

Cormac McCarthy is considered one of the greatest American writers of his time. His works have been praised for their lyrical prose, vivid descriptions, and exploration of themes such as violence, morality, and the human condition. He has won numerous awards, including the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction and the National Book Award.

5. How can we celebrate the legacy of Cormac McCarthy?

One way to celebrate the legacy of Cormac McCarthy is to read and discuss his works. You can also attend literary events or book clubs that focus on his writings. Additionally, you can support organizations that promote literacy and the arts, as McCarthy was a strong advocate for both. Finally, you can share his works with others and introduce them to his powerful and thought-provoking storytelling.

Back