RIP Walter Becker: Steely Dan Guitarist Passes Away at 67

• News
  • Thread starter wirenut
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rip
In summary, Walter Becker was a founding member of the jazz rock band Steely Dan and played a crucial role as co-songwriter, guitarist, and bassist. Some of the band's most popular songs include "Do It Again," "Reelin' in the Years," "Rikki Don't Lose That Number," and "Hey Nineteen." Walter Becker passed away on September 3, 2017, due to complications from esophageal cancer, and he and Donald Fagen first met at Bard College in New York in the late 1960s. Walter Becker's legacy includes creating a unique and influential sound in jazz rock and contributing to the songwriting and production of many iconic songs.
wirenut
Gold Member
Walter Becker of Steely Dan passed away today.
http://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/walter-becker-steely-dan-guitarist-dies-at-67/ar-AArb7UR
Tickets for their concert in Buffalo NY recently went on sale , although I didn't get them due to being at work, I seriously thought about purchasing ticket on the secondary market. I could not justify paying $200-$400 per ticket.
I was lucky enough to see them in the '90s and in early 2000s. Fantastic shows.
I will miss him.

Likes Asymptotic and OmCheeto
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for sharing. Steely Dan was great and Walter will be missed.

Last edited:

What was Walter Becker's role in Steely Dan?

Walter Becker was one of the founding members of the jazz rock band Steely Dan. He was the co-songwriter, guitarist, and bassist for the group.

What were some of Steely Dan's most popular songs?

Some of Steely Dan's most popular songs include "Do It Again," "Reelin' in the Years," "Rikki Don't Lose That Number," and "Hey Nineteen."

What was the cause of Walter Becker's death?

Walter Becker passed away on September 3, 2017, due to complications from esophageal cancer.

How did Walter Becker and Donald Fagen meet?

Walter Becker and Donald Fagen met at Bard College in New York in the late 1960s and bonded over their love for jazz and rock music.

What legacy did Walter Becker leave behind?

Walter Becker, along with Donald Fagen, created a unique and influential sound in the world of jazz rock. He also contributed to the songwriting and production of many iconic songs in the music industry.

Back