RLC Circuit Analysis with system of ODEs

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving modeling an RLC circuit using a system of ODEs. The person is struggling with applying circuit laws to create the system provided and is seeking guidance. They are advised to refer to their physics textbook for further explanation and to use fundamental math expressions for L, R, and C in terms of current and voltage.
DeclanKerr
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Template is shown
Summary: Looking for guidance on how to model an RLC circuit with a system of ODES, where the variables are the resistor and inductor voltages.

This is a maths problem I have to complete for homework.

The problem is trying to prove that the attached circuit diagram can be modeled using the system of ODEs:

It says to do this using circuit laws, but I am having trouble working out what circuit laws to use that can allow me to create they system provided.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Write out all the laws that you know about capacitors, inductors, resistors, potentials and currents. What is the relation of charge and current, what is the definition of inductance? You will see that some of these laws are already in the form of differential equations. That is just to get your mind working, i.e. the fact that you do already know something and he idea of using what you already know. it's maths homework but look in your physics book, almost any fairly elementary a physics textbook covering electrical circuits. There you will find the very same problem, or very similar, explained probably better than we can do here. But before that do the first bit that I said, so that you realize that you really knew enough probably to make progress on this if you put your mind to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you write the loop equation in terms of current you can substitute with the parameters in your matrix equation.
You do need the fundamental math expressions for L, R and C in terms of current and voltage as previously indicated.

1. What is an RLC circuit?

An RLC circuit is an electrical circuit that contains a resistor (R), an inductor (L), and a capacitor (C). These components are connected in series or parallel and form a closed loop, where the flow of current is influenced by the values of these components. RLC circuits are commonly used in electronic devices such as filters, oscillators, and amplifiers.

2. What is the purpose of analyzing an RLC circuit using a system of ODEs?

ODEs (ordinary differential equations) are used to mathematically describe the behavior of a system over time. By analyzing an RLC circuit using a system of ODEs, we can determine the voltage and current at different points in the circuit, as well as how the circuit responds to changes in input signals.

3. How do I solve a system of ODEs for an RLC circuit?

To solve a system of ODEs for an RLC circuit, you will need to use mathematical techniques such as Laplace transforms or matrix methods. These methods allow you to transform the ODEs into algebraic equations that can be solved to find the voltage and current values at different points in the circuit.

4. What are the applications of RLC circuit analysis with a system of ODEs?

RLC circuit analysis with a system of ODEs has various applications in the field of engineering and physics. It can be used to design and analyze electronic circuits, predict the behavior of electrical systems, and optimize the performance of devices such as filters and amplifiers.

5. What are the limitations of using a system of ODEs for RLC circuit analysis?

One of the main limitations of using a system of ODEs for RLC circuit analysis is that it assumes the components to be ideal, meaning they have no resistance or other imperfections. In reality, all components have some resistance and other non-ideal behaviors, which can affect the accuracy of the analysis. Additionally, the complexity of the circuit and the number of components can make the system of ODEs difficult to solve analytically, requiring numerical methods instead.