Plotting a RLC Circuit: Analyzing a Differential Equation

In summary: The I_p and V_p are the rms values over a period of time.Also, they use R as resistance, but should I also include the impedance due to the capacitor and the inductor here in addition to the resistance of the resistor? If so, how should I treat the resistance since I'm not aware of a way to express it as a non-real value.If I am driving this with a frequency generator set at 277 kHz, should this value be omega or would I need to multiply this by 2*pi?No, the value is in hertz.Frequency is in hertz or kilohertz so ω = 2*pi*f.I'm not sure what your comment means
rmiller70015
I'm not sure about the physical behavior of a RLC circuit and I have to give a presentation that involves one. So I've decided to plot the current. I found a book that gives a differential equation to describe the circuit.

##L\frac{d^2i}{dt^2} + R\frac{di}{dt} + \frac{1}{C}i = \frac{dv}{dt}##

So I had some questions about this equation and the notation.

First of all, the book says ##i=\vec{I} = I_pe^{j\omega t}## and ##v = \vec{V} = V_pe^{j\omega t}##. Are the ##I_p## and ##V_p## the rms current and voltage?

Also, they use R as resistance, but should I also include the impedance due to the capacitor and the inductor here in addition to the resistance of the resistor? If so, how should I treat the resistance since I'm not aware of a way to express it as a non-real value.

Finally, if I am driving this with a frequency generator set at 277 kHz, should this value be ##\omega## or would I need to multiply this by ##2\pi##?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Here's a series RLC circuit connected to an ac voltage source. I normally use Vrms cos (wt) as a voltage source rather than the exponential form.

upload_2017-4-14_23-40-18.png

A more fundamental equation would be:

upload_2017-4-14_23-41-21.png

Frequency is in hertz or kilohertz so

upload_2017-4-14_23-43-10.png

I'm not sure what your comment means about the resistance and the non-real value. If I understand what you are asking, yes, you need to include the three impedances - the resistance, the inductive reactance and the capacitive reactance. The last two quantities include w(omega) in their calculation, so you will need to multiply the frequency by 2*pi.

Likes rmiller70015
The impedance due to the inductor and capacitor appear to be the same quantity as the reactances but with a multiple of ##\sqrt{-1}##. So I wasn't sure if what to do with the equation since the book wanted to use imaginary values in the current as well as the real values. But it appears that you are only looking at the real portion, is there any reason why you omitted the imaginary part, is it just extra stuff that isn't necessary to understanding the behavior?

I didn't mean to ignore the imaginary impedances. I was just trying to show you where the differential equation came from. What I posted follows the serices circuit that I gave you. If you are doing a steady-state rms calculation, you'll need R plus the next two. Here they are:

upload_2017-4-15_0-37-14.png

upload_2017-4-15_0-37-31.png

Likes rmiller70015
rmiller70015 said:
First of all, the book says i=⃗I=Ipejωti=\vec{I} = I_pe^{j\omega t} and v=⃗V=Vpejωtv = \vec{V} = V_pe^{j\omega t}. Are the IpI_p and VpV_p the rms current and voltage?
No, they represent the amplitude (the peak value).

Likes rmiller70015

1. What is an RLC circuit?

An RLC circuit is a type of electrical circuit that contains a resistor, inductor, and capacitor. These components are connected in either series or parallel and form a closed loop. RLC circuits are commonly used in electronic devices such as radios, televisions, and computers.

2. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes how a variable changes over time or space. In the context of an RLC circuit, a differential equation is used to model the behavior of the circuit's voltage and current over time.

3. How is a differential equation used to analyze an RLC circuit?

A differential equation is used to analyze an RLC circuit by describing the relationship between the circuit's voltage, current, and the components' properties. By solving the differential equation, the behavior of the circuit can be predicted and analyzed.

4. What factors affect the behavior of an RLC circuit?

The behavior of an RLC circuit is affected by several factors, including the values of the components (resistor, inductor, and capacitor), the frequency of the input signal, and the initial conditions of the circuit. These factors can impact the amplitude, phase, and resonance of the circuit.

5. How is an RLC circuit plotted and analyzed?

To plot and analyze an RLC circuit, the differential equation is first solved using techniques such as Laplace transforms or numerical methods. The resulting solution is then plotted on a graph to visualize the behavior of the circuit. From the graph, various properties of the circuit can be determined, such as resonant frequency, damping factor, and bandwidth.